Re: Flash Drives Make any Computer Personal

I may be mistaken but I do not think it

> is just a simple matter of plugging one of these 'pen drives' into a > USB port. I have one -- I do not use it a lot, it is 62 MB, and about > the size of my thumb. As I recall, when I first installed it,I had to > additionally run a CD which loaded the required 'drivers' onto the > host computer to get it (host) to recognize the USB ports and to get > the 'pen drive' formatted, etc. Have they gotten easier and quicker to > use in recent months? Although being able to carry the little device > away in my shirt pocket to use elsewhere _is_ a good point, having to > do a few extra steps to configure the host computer to recognize a USB > slot and accomodate the pen drive takes away some of the enthusiasm > for me. PAT]

The devices come pre-formatted, and XP includes the drivers necessary to recognize and talk to them. If you insert one into an XP system it will also auto-run whatever is designated for that purpose on the device, just like a CD.

The only time you need to install software from a CD is if you're trying to use it on Win98 or older systems.

John Meissen snipped-for-privacy@aracnet.com

Reply to
jmeissen
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.