Re: Fire Knocks Out Phone Service in St. John's, NL

jwillis wrote:

>> Phone service is back to normal in Newfoundland after it was knocked >> out in about one third of the island late Friday night. >> The outage, lasting more than five hours, began when a power cable at >> a telephone switching station in St. John's shorted out and started a >> small fire, Bell Aliant said. > I noticed this at the time as I was configuring a firewall and my ISP > (Rogers cable) began to supply an invalid address to the WAN side of > the box. 192.168.100.1 is definitely not an address that Rogers would > normally issue. Calls to tech support returned fast busy. All calls > outside the town of Portugal Cove returned fast busy. I went to sleep > knowing I could reach the local firehall if I needed to. > Things were chaotic in St John's; virtually ALL telecom was > affected. There was a fire in a power cable tray on the 2nd floor of > the (6 floor) Allandale Rd central office and the tech on-site decided > to cut off power to the entire building to fight it. This prevented > normal back-up systems and knocked out cell service, most of 911, long > distance and internet service to the mainland. > St John's is the capital and largest city on the Island of > Newfoundland off the east coast of Canada, which has a population of > more than 500,000. This is the second major outage I have experienced > here. The first was due to simultaneous cuts to the fibre optics cable > crossing the island. That one occurred during a labor dispute.

I can tell you from working in a telephone offices and going though the

1971 Sylmar, California Earthquake, the cutting of the power is the only way to deal with a DC electrical fire in a CO, better to lose service; which then can be brought back up, then getting hit with 1000 amps or higher. I had an a capacitor years ago short and got white hot and exploded in flames. I guess the CO did not have a fire suppression system in it?

The Only Good Spammer is a Dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2006 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot In Hell Co.

Reply to
Steven Lichter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.