Re: Fiber Cut Knocks S.E. Kansas Off Line

Michael Chance wrote:

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You are quite correct; I was thinking > of a small town in southwest Missouri close to the Arkansas border. > The geotools stuff did claim yesterday that I was in Ballwin (since I > was using dial up via TerraWorld; I dunno why. Any ideas on that? PAT]

I bet the TerraWorld dialup server is located in Baldwin, MO. I'd love to know how exactly ISPs use centrally located modem servers but can provide "local" numbers just about anywhere.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Herb Oxley From: address IS Valid.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: It is BALLWIN, _not_ BALDWIN, and Duane said to me that 'they' (meaning TerraWorld) do have 'an association' with 'another company in the St. Louis area'. But Duane and all his employees are located in offices in the Arco Building here in town, and prior to his purchase/startup of Pairie Stream in 2002 the TerraWorld dialups were on 620-332 something; a historical artifact from when Arco Oil was in business with the corporate offices of Harry Sinclair in the Arco Building, and all of Arco's phones were on 332. Arco has been gone for more than a decade now (when the company went out of business they gave their headquarters, the Arco Corporate Center, to City of Independence free and clear as a gift which renamed it the 'Independence Corporate Offices', kept the phone PBX system Arco had in place, named Duane and Terraworld as the 'Building LEC' for phone service on 620-332, etc. I think what they use between cities are 'concentrators' or several circuits all sent through one line, a bit of trickery where one or two lines serve as 'controllers' or traffic signals, telling the other end who is calling and what to do with the call being sent through the pipeline. 25 customers on one side are connected to the 25 on the other side by only 2 or 3 lines in the middle, thus 'concentrated'. Although the Atlantic Richfield Company and Harry Sinclair have been gone for many years, locals still refer to the place as 'the Arco Building'. PAT]
Reply to
nospam4me
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.