Re: Party Line Dialing

When 0 and 1 became common as the third digit of an exchange,

> confusion was more likely (PI1, HO0) ...

Or ORange 0 in Skokie, Illinois (PAT's old stomping grounds), which the Dir ectory Assistance operators cheerfully pronounced "oh are oh."

In a later issue of TD, Lisa continued:

However, in many places, party lines had a letter suffix (J, R?). In > the literature, the panel readout boards had that letter > suffix. Some old telephone books show that letter listed after to > the number. > I presume in some manual systems one gave the letter to the > operator. > But in dial systems, did one dial the suffix letter=20 > to reach party lines so equipped?

PAT responded:

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: No, we did NOT dial the ending > letter. All those letters (-B,-J, -M and -R) were merged into seven > digit numbers, and tied together in the central office for > individualized ringing purposes only, sort of like the 'distinctive > ring-ring' numbers today. The parties still shared the same wire ...

Some old SxS offices had a somewhat analogous arrangement in which the last digit dialed determined the party of a party line. But the last digit was printed as a numeral, not a letter.

Examples:

- Holly, Michigan. All numbers were in the form MElrose 4-XXXX and MElrose 7-XXXX; the initial 3 and 6 were absorbed.

- Dexter, Michigan. All numbers were in the form HAmilton 6-XXXX; the initial 4 and 2 were absorbed.

In each of these examples, the last digit determined the party to be rung. All single-party numbers ended in 1, and multiparty numbers used other dig its.

This situation produced some interesting anomalies:

-- Among local residents (especially elderly female residents), a number ending in anything other than "1" was considered a bit of a stigma ("she has a party line, you know ...").

-- Trunk-hunting sequences hunted on the next-to-last digit, not the last. Thus, ME 7-7011 trunked directly to ME 7-7021.

-- A single-party number could be dialed with any final digit to produce a different ring cadence. One building where I worked in Dexter was HA 6-XX91, but HA 6-XX9-anything would ring the phone. Those of us who worked in the building knew this ("don't answer that -- it's Frank's wife again").

Offices that were converted from manual directly to crossbar could assign any number -- party line or not -- to any wire pair, so there was no way to tell whether a given number was single party or multiparty. Even if the old (manual-exchange) number had ended in a letter, the new number didn't. Examples from Downers Grove, Illinois:

-- Downers Grove 6361 became WOodland X-6361

-- Downers Grove 5133-R became WOodland X-5133

-- Downers Grove 5379-W became WOodland X-5379

Neal McLain

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: First of all, FYI, Skokie does/did not equal 'ORange', it equals 'ORchard' as in the former name of Ohare International Airport, nee Ohare Field, nee Orchard Field, and still the international aviation designation 'ORD'. The northwest suburban Chicago area at one point was very ripe with apple orchards, and in the 1940's the village of Niles Center, Illinois (the former name of the village of Skokie), in its wisdom chose to destroy a perfectly beautiful apple orchard in order to build a commercial enterprise, known as 'Old Orchard Shopping Center'. Old Orchard in recent years grew from a few stores to a major shopping center with a few hundred shops and a crime rate almost equal to the one (crime rate, that is) of our very own Walmart Super Center here in Independence. I am sure the farmer who owned the orchard which had been there for over a century prior must be very proud of what became of his land and his beautiful trees, etc.

And, speaking of crime, conveniently located just two blocks west of Old Orchard Shopping Center is one of the several branches of the Cook County Circuit Court (which locals refer to as the 'Skokie Court House') more or less next door to Niles West High School on Golf Road. Always a very busy place, with ten judges on duty (no waiting to get your ninety seconds to plead to the judge!) the Skokie Court House has direct bus service to/from Cook County Jail and a filthy satellite prison of its own right on premises at least a few times each day. But, I digress; ORChard eventually became OR-2 as was the custom in the 1940-50's, and it expanded to eventually include 672, 673, 674, and 675 but there never has been an 'oh-are-oh' unless it is something new added since I abandoned -- fled for my life, actually -- what you refer to as my 'old stomping grounds'. But I understand both Old Orchard and the Skokie Court House were looking for an expansion of their phone systems; maybe that's where 'oh-are-oh' originated. PAT]

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.