Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

In Daniel AJ Sokolov writes:

First, the effort to make it happen is big. You have to lay fibre to > the transformation substation closest to the user.

Which is _already_ in the cards. Utilities want/need better remote control options for their distributed network of transformers, in addition to billing and other functions, so many of them are (hoping to ...) extend(ing) fiber-carrying SCADA [a] to them. Once that glass is in place, you're within a few thousand feet (or less) of ninety something percent of the proposed end users.

[a] SCADA Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A couple things I do not understand about voice communication over electrical power lines: Some say it will not work; others say it is okay. My own experience has been that (a) Chicago Transit Authority for many years (has?) used the third- rail for telephone conversations between control towers/trains/station agents. (b) I personally have tried so-called 'wireless intercoms' between different locations nearby; sometimes they worked (although in a rather piss-poor way; other times not at all. I have no personal experience with (a) but have been told the connections are very 'noisy' many times, and (b) when they worked, they seemed to have a lot of 'hum' in the background. When they did not work (all I got was hum with no audible voice at all) I am told this was because the two intercom stations involved were on opposite 'legs' of the transfomer. Can anyone explain this better to me? I know that the third-rail seems like an awful way to transmit voice communications. On the one occassion I had to see the CTA system in action, I called into the CTA main headquarters phone number (MOHawk 4-7200) and the operator switched me to a supervisor in one of the control towers several miles away for whom I had a question. The connection, frankly, was not all that good. Once I also called Grand Central Station in downtown Chicago to the Lost and Found; she switched me to the Lost and Found in Baltimore, OH, also via the trackside phone lines. That connection sounded pretty bad also. PAT]
Reply to
Danny Burstein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.