Re: Cell Phone For "Mature" Folks

I actually liked the size of the ones about 3 "generations" ago, that

> is slightly larger than a pack of 100s cigarettes. They were easy to > hold on to, the keys were relatively large and had ample space between > and I could read the display without my glasses. Is anything like > that available in the GSM world today?

Probably not, but one of the nice things about GSM is that every GSM900 phone ever made is still compatible with current networks. Just find one on ebay, pop in a SIM and go.

Here in the US I still like my Nokia 6340i with fairly large text and buttons.

R's,

John

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I took John's suggestion and it worked out reasonable well. Cingular Wireless really pressured me to go with GSM when my last contract ran out, so I did, and the phone which came with the new contract for free was a Nokia 6010. Trouble is, I thought and still think it is a flimsy phone, confusing to use, with tiny little buttons. _None_ of my attachments (car charger, headphone, or cell socket device) were compatible. I had to start over from scratch.

But on E-Bay, I found the very same phone John mentioned, a Nokia

6340i which was unlocked and quite cheap. My attachments mostly worked okay with that except for my cell socket (which still distributes calls to other wired phones but will _not_ be charged through the cell socket. I had some trouble with the 6340i, which, when Cingular explained it mostly went away. The problem was every day or three, the 6340i would lose track of its registration data and refuse to accept or admit any calls. Cingular explained it this way: You still have your old phone around? Yes I do; I leave it in a charger and always turned on. Cingular asked, when the old phone was taken out of service did you 'merely' get the number swapped over to the new phone, or did the agent also 'reprogram' the old phone with ten zeros as the number? No programming done, just had the ESN deactivated in the old phone and the new ESN turned on (along with the SIM card of course). Well said the rep, there is a problem right there.

The tower sees the old, now invalidated ESN in the old phone, but the _phone number_ is getting broadcast both from the old phone (now unused) and the _new_ phone. The tower gets a little confused by that, seeing the number out there twice but only one good ESN (and SIM card). Now and again, the tower decides to try and respond to the old phone, when that happens the new phone gets left out. So she urged me, "if you are going to leave the old phone around 'where the tower can see it' at least program its number to ten zeros where the tower won't be continually attempting to hook up with the new phones number. I will just leave the old phone turned off and not use it at all and see if that helps the new GAIT phone Nokia 6340-i keep its place. The lady said to me also, "even if you prefer to have your active phone always turned on and available 24/7, you are still going to have to cycle the power on it at least once every or two. I guess that makes sense. PAT]

Reply to
John Levine
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.