My New Cell Phone, Nokia 6010

The Cingular Wireless people here in town finally convinced me to swap out my old digital cell phone (also Nokia) for a new GSM/GPRS phone. I had said I would keep on using my old phone as long as service was available for it, but lately it was getting harder and harder to get a good, clear signal with no need for constant redial attempts, etc. The new plan they put me on is even a bit cheaper than what I had. And this new phone has a provision to use 'mobile internet' from the phone itself. I got to keep the number I had on the old phone, same voicemail, etc. The new phone is a bit smaller, and not even a trace of an antenna on it anywhere; not even a little stub. It does sound a wee bit 'tinny' however Cingular has me on 'no long distance charges' and 'no roaming' and 'rollover'. Since my landline (Prairie Stream) phone is set to 'transfer on busy/no answer (after 3 rings) it seems to be ideal for my needs. It still is not clear to me _why_ they feel it is a beter system than the phone I was using but they insist it is.

As with all these things, there is absolutely no standardization between peripherals on old and new phones. My old cell socket, power chargers, headsets, other handsfree devices do not fit and cannot be used. The local manager here for Southwest Wireless, the Cingular Wireless Agency here in town told me "one way the cell companies make money is by assuring that no two phones ever use the same attachments." It figures.

PAT

Reply to
TELECOM Digest Editor
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.