Re: Box to Redirect Incoming Call and Redial to Outgoing Line

I want to figure a simple way of being able to dial in on one work

> number and then dial out on another work line. > The reason is that I want to be able to call international from my > cell phone really cheaply or free. So I want to make a local call to > my office and then reroute that call somehow through my VOIP phone to > wherever I want to dial. This way I get the benifit of really cheap > rates. > Thanks for any ideas. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The device you want is known as a > 'call extender' or 'WATS extender'. The name comes mainly from many > years ago when long distance calls were quite expensive but using the > office 'WATS line' allowed a long distance call to be 'free'. Essenti- > ally, call in on a local line, get hooked either to a PBX-type line > from whence you would dial the WATS code (then out on WATS) or else > just connect direct to the WATS line itself. A smart user would always > have a passcode request in there somewhere, to avoid having the WATS > (or other network services) abused. I got one of these devices once > from Mike Sandman
formatting link
and after a bit of tweaking it > worked reasonably well. You can adjust it via a capacitor on the top > so it knows when to answer the incoming line and how long to hold the > line open, and when to disconnect it. The prototype Mike let me use > was easy enough to adjust the cap for pickup and disconnect and wait > to restart. But the volume level was not very good, at least on my > prototype (some manufacturer was trying to talk Mike into reselling > these devices), and I do not think they ever got the volume level > adjusted as desired. It would not make a lot of difference on good > quality WATS lines or a decent PBX, etc. The transmission level would > go down a little, but you could live with it. However, I was trying to > use mine to connect landline, via a PBX to a VOIP line outbound, and > this was _before_ (or maybe still?) VOIP was able to share bandwidth > with computers, etc on internet and sound good quality. So I had two > problems: VOIP outbound (with the older style Vonage TA's) sounded > dreadful, IMO, and the 'call extender' didn't help it any. > Commercial or industrial grade call extenders used to be quite > expensive; you had to be able to amortize its cost versus your toll > charges; now the cost for a unit is almost nothing; but then again, > so are toll charges, even international ones. You might check with > Mike Sandman (mailto: snipped-for-privacy@sandman.com) or check his web site > httpw://sandman.com and find out if the transmission quality > problems have been corrected, and does he still have those little > units. (About the size of a package of cigarette, weight a couple > ounces; just plug an incoming and and outgoing line into it.) PAT]

You might want to check out the DialMate CM1003 at

formatting link
They were flashing a price around $130 when I last looked.

You can read the user manual at

formatting link
for more information.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.