Re: AT&T doubling 3G capacity [telecom]

|***** Moderator's Note ***** | |Is Readnews Open Source?

Yes, it is part of B news. But it is very, very old. I'm probably the only person still running it...

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

You're not. I know of two others -- no, I'm not one of them.

I use 'trn', readnews' "smarter brother" -- it understands threading articles,and a few other *useful* goodies. but it is still a pure "text mode" newsreader.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Out of curiosity, have you considered upgrading to a more modern newsreader, like rn?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Look at 'knews', and 'trn', for a start.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Evolution and Thunderbird come to mind.

Personally, I still prefer using trn in a shell window, because its threading and killfiles are better than the competition.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Evolution is for Gnome, not KDE. Pan is a very good stand-alone newsreader.

Reply to
David Clayton

Damn, that would be literally hundreds of different entries, for probably hundreds of different operating systems.

The most common text based ones are the family of programs that were derived from readnews: rn, trn, trn4, tin, etc. There is still Vnews and the EMACS newsreader. These have been ported to everything under the sun for the most part.

If you want a graphical one, anything that uses X11 will run under KDE and there are dozens of those including xrn, newsfish, pan, etch and I don't know what else.

There is some KDE-specific one called knode, though I have never actually seen it.

Personally, I still use rn, which is fast and convenient.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

And it was developed by a disenchanted Polish emigre to Switzerland, named Kudelski, previously employed by the record company Polskie Nagranie.

Donc c'est a la fois Suisse et Polonais :-) .

Et ca te coute les yeux de la tete (French for "an arm and a leg", colloquially).

The German outfit Uher produced a cheaper competitor (Uher 4000) that was so precise that if anything went even a tenth of a mm out of whack, the whole tape-transport mechanism was immobilized. No leeway or margins of error in their tolerances whatsoever.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.