Please do not change your password [telecom]

In Steven writes: [snip]

That's all too commonly a result of someone trying to break into the account. After, perhaps, four tries, the system will freeze that ID pending human (or a related, more secure and painful computer inquisitory) intervention.

- which, btw, is one method of setting up a Denial Of Service attack against people or companies. If you could get, for example, President Washington's username at the Revolutionary Bank and Trust, and then try logging in a half dozen times, you'd cause him lots of annoyance.

Similarly, if you couldn't get a specific username, but had access to a "botnet", you could pseudo-randomly try hundreds of thousands of IDs at that bank, and lock out plenty of their users.

(designing circuit breaker/security algorithms for these banks is left as an exercise to the student).

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

Another problem with the Social Security system is your user name is your SS#. I was told that there are changes the works to change both, but they are months or even years away. The Medicare system is a little better as it lets you make real passwords.

My credit union required you to log in using your account number, they have since changed that, but for now if you forget your user name you can still use the account number

Reply to
Steven

For the curious, it's 24 PDFs. Way too many web pages -- probably could have been on 3 or 4 pages max (but that might have been very intimidating for non-computer-literates).

What impressed me was how fast it was (2 weeks) to receive my first benefit auto-deposited into my checking account. Too much of their online info reflects the old paper-only operation and I was led to believe it'd take 90+ days.

Here's a tip for anyone else soon applying for benefits: though I did enter my (cell) phone number on page 3 and specified "Mobile", the "Remarks" page (19) provides the opportunity to ask for email-only support so one has a copy(ies) of all communication. What I wrote was:

I'm heard-of-hearing and though I can use a phone, email, if at all possible, is the best way to contact me.

The hard-of-hearing (in my case) is not a fiction, it's 20dB "flat" loss in both ears. Email worked fantastically well between me and the local (not Baltimore MD) SSA office and I think contributed to the amazingly quick receipt of the first benefit payment.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

I was really surprised how fast it worked, it was a little less then 2 weeks. Mine was for SSDI because of an accident. It is very hard to get approved for that. Right after I did the online application I got a call from the program manager advising me that I had been approved.

I have since gone back to work on a SSDI to work program, which allows me 9 to 18 months to see if I can continue working or stay on SSDI without losing the benefits. I'm 4 months into it now and so far I have been able to work doing my telecom work with a few restrictions and the company is working with it since they get tax breaks.

Reply to
Steven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.