Unable to change router 'device webpage' password.

I have a Linksys WAG160n router. I'm advised to change the password from the default 'admin' - but it wont let me!

I go to the web-page, click on the 'Administration' tab, change the password, then click on 'save settings' - but after a long pause I get a new web-page that just says "Internet Explorer is unable to display the requested page".

The password is not changed.

Anyone any ideas?

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.
Loading thread data ...

Try a power reset. Unplug for a minute and replug. Let us know if that did it.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

do you have remote admin by wireless disabled? sounds like you can read but not write....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Flush the browser cache. Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Delete Files -> Check [x] Delete Offline Content -> OK To be sure, close the browser, and restart it again.

As I vaguely recall, a similar problem with other settings was fixed in an update of the firmware. You might check the Linksys web pile for the latest firmware release for the WAG160N.

Looks like: Ver.1.00.12-ETSI (Annex A) is the latest version.

Be sure to do all your admin from a wired ethernet connection, not via wireless. You can do most (not all) config changes via wireless, but firmware updates should be done via a wired connection or your risk "bricking" the router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No difference I'm afraid!

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

Yes - that's it. On the same web-page it states that remote admin is disabled - I didn't realise that this prevented *me* from making changes within my home network! I can't change that setting either - so I assume that I'll have to use an ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the router to make these changes?

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

No - this didn't work.

I've got the latest firmware.

I think this is the reason I cannot change the password - as Peter Pan has suggested - 'Remote Management' was disabled and I didn't realise that this would prevent me from making 'wireless' changes. I'll dig out the ethernet cable, hard-wire the laptop to the router and try again to change the password.

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

It shouldn't, have you disabled the "Management by WLAN" facility? It's just under UPnP on the same page.

Reply to
LR

No - that was enabled - but I have managed to change the password using a cable! Strange!

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

That's probably the easiest way, used to be that by default wireless admin was on and your wap/router could be hijacked... Now it most cases its just turned off, should work fine by wire though.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

As it has done - thanks!

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.