New telephone evildoers? [telecom]

I'm aware of evildoers trying to record you saying "yes" on the phone, but I think I got a variant this afternoon. After the usual "This is xxx calling on a recorded line" stuff, they said they wanted some poilitical opinions.

I wasn't busy, so I held on. The questions were to be answered "approve, dissaprove, or no opinion". Sounded a little strange instead of a simple yes/no, but I answered "approve" to the first question. Then they asked me to repeat that - and I hung up.

Perhaps I'm now schediled to answer "approve" on some slimey sales pitch.

Reply to
Brian Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Unless you give out your credit card number, I don't understand how recording your "approval" could result in getting any money. I can't see how they'd collect.

Reply to
HAncock4

The "Can you hear me" scam did not necessarily involve a credit card.

See

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

The Wikipedia article cited mentions that Snopes classified the "scam" as "unproven." It ends with this quote:

Tom Lyons, a columnist at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, and an official at the caller ID company Hiya theorized that the purported calls were an automated dialer employed by a telemarketing firm to confirm the authenticity of the telephone numbers on its dialing lists, and not an attempt at financial fraud.

- Lyons, Tom (February 1, 2017). "Lyons: A phone scam, or an urban legend?". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved February 18, 2017.

formatting link

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Retired

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.