Are Robocalls Flooding Your Cellphone? Here's the cure [telecom]

Robocalls Flooding Your Cellphone? Here's How to Stop Them

By CHRISTOPHER MELE

An unfamiliar number appears on your cellphone. It's from your area code, so you answer it, thinking it might be important.

There is an unnatural pause after you say hello, and what follows is a recording telling you how you can reduce your credit card interest rates or electric bill or prescription drug costs or any of a number of other sales pitches.

Experts recommend a multifaceted approach: Don't answer unknown numbers, use call-blocking apps and report unwanted calls to the government.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

I don't agree with the 'experts' the article mentions. I have a different approach, which has been recommended by a number of newspaper columnists, radio personalities, and by me.

Take one for the team.

I think you should answer the call, and hang on until you get to talk to a human being. Stretch the call out as long as you can, and then politely say that you're not interested.

/THAT/ will get you on their don't dial list faster than a nuclear bomb aimed at Bombay: the purveyors of this kind of come-on don't care about what /you/ want, but they care a lot about how much time /their/ employees spend on a call.

You've already been molested, and already had your time wasted. Take one for the team, and tie up their one irreplaceable resource for as long as you can. If everyone did it, the entire industry would be out of business in a month.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Just yesterday I had a call from the infamous 799-CALL-045 "Windows Technical Support" offering to clean the malware from my Windows computer.

(On a tangent: am I right that 799 is a not a US but a Mexican area code?)

"Yes," I answered, "I was expecting you yesterday already to clean my windows, when are you coming?"

Remote voice: "No, no, it's your Windows computer needs cleaning, and ... "

Me: "Yes, can you come this afternoon? or tomorrow? there's 13 of them on each floor, and 3 floors, so, along with the glass in the front door, 40 windows, and they're filthy, really need a thorough cleaning."

Remote voice? gone -- hung up.

But, 160 minutes later, same caller-ID rings again. No, I didn't answer. Clearly I hadn't (yet?) made it to their "don't dial list". We'll see tho'.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

How effective is it if you just press 1 to talk to a live operator, then set the phone down and go on with your life? Does that waste enough of their time to annoy them?

Reply to
jhhaynes

In article you write:

Mexico is not part of the NANP, and there is no 799 area code within Mexico. If there were, it would probably show up as 52 799 xxx xxx.

Within the NANP, N9X codes are reserved for expansion past 10 digits.

International codes starting with +79 are mobile numbers in Russia and some other former Soviet Union countries. But I'm pretty sure that's not who it was.

Reply to
John Levine

In article you write:

In my experience, no. I've also tried saying PLEASE HOLD FOR THE NEXT AVAILABLE OPERATOR and putting them on hold, which doesn't work either.

Reply to
John Levine

The latest ones I've gotten are repeated calls from people pitching "extended" car warranties. As always, the tactics are changing: like spam, robocall prevention is an arms race.

The latest trick is to connect me, briefly, to a human, who promptly hangs up with nothing said, so it's clear that my name is on their PITA list, but they either can't or won't modify their call engine to avoid my number in the first place.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Thanks, John. And, FWiW, there's been no contact from any 799 number since.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.