Navigon MobileNavigator App Bests Standalone Devices [telecom]

Navigon MobileNavigator App Bests Standalone Devices

by Adam C. Engst TidBITS

06 Dec 2010

Perhaps my favorite piece of consumer electronics over the past five years has been the car navigation GPS device, and I've reviewed a slew of them in TidBITS in that time (see our series "Find Yourself with GPS [1]"). But don't go looking for most of those models because they likely aren't available any more-the field moves quickly, rendering older models obsolete.

My dirty little secret is that although I recommended these devices to friends and relatives, I never bought one for myself, since they were never quite perfect (though I liked the Garmin n=FCvi 255W quite a lot). I could see that the state of the art kept changing, and I didn't want to get stuck with a model that suffered greatly in comparison with later incarnations. You'll also notice that the last review in that series compared the device to early iPhone GPS navigation apps, G-Map and AT&T Navigator. I didn't feel that I could quite trust either of those in stressful driving situations.

Hence my gift suggestion this year, for anyone who has an iPhone and could use navigation help when travelling in unfamiliar environs, is a GPS iPhone app I've tested extensively and feel comfortable recommending: Navigon MobileNavigator [2] (hereafter referred to as Navigon). Put simply, Navigon is as good as or better than every standalone GPS device I've used, with only a few minor qualifications.

=2E..

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Heh ... yet another web site that Opera can't render the meat of, while Safari can.

Thank goodness for Opera's right-click "Open with ... >" alternative browser choices :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp

-- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

Reply to
tlvp

Yet another quick trip to a horrific car crash.

Yee gads, haven't we debated endlessly the hazards of voice and text wireless in the automobile?!

Reply to
Sam Spade

Show me numbers, before and after the ban. Until then we don't know.

Reply to
John David Galt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.