FTC Finalizes Order Banning Stalkerware Provider from Spyware Business [telecom]

December 21, 2021

The Federal Trade Commission has finalized an order banning a stalkerware provider and its CEO from the surveillance business to settle allegations the company secretly harvested and shared data on people's physical movements, phone use, and online activities.

In a complaint first announced in September 2021, the FTC alleged that Support King, LLC, which did business as SpyFone.com, and its CEO Scott Zuckerman sold stalkerware apps that allowed purchasers to surreptitiously monitor photos, text messages, web histories, GPS locations, and other personal information on the phone on which the app was installed without the device owner's knowledge.

formatting link

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's amazing what turns up when you go poking around the FTC web site on a Saturday morning. I hope one of my readers will explain to me what "Stalkerware" is, and why I've never heard of it before. Now, I've been sidelined for a while, so I'm not up on current news, but I would have thought that this would be seen on the nightly news all over the U.S. Was it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.