[telecom] Who Do Online Advertisers Think You Are?

Who Do Online Advertisers Think You Are?

By JEFFREY ROSEN November 30, 2012

Not long ago, I decided to test how much privacy I have online. I cleared the cookies, the bits of code that Web sites leave on my computer to track what I browse and buy, from my two Internet browsers, Safari and Firefox. Then, with my digital past superficially erased, I set out to create two new identities: Democratic Jeff and Republican Jeff.

Safari became the home of Democratic Jeff. I started by spending time on Barack Obama's re-election Web site and then visited some travel, car and shopping sites to search for flights to Los Angeles, Volvos and Birkenstocks. On Firefox, as Republican Jeff, I went to Mitt Romney's site and then searched for Cadillacs, flights to Hawaii and diamond rings.

Having created my new digital identities as heavy-handedly as possible, I returned to my usual Web sites. At first, the ads on my favorite Washington neighborhood blog, the Prince of Petworth, were the same on both browsers. But less than two days later, an ad for Mitt Romney suddenly appeared next to a story I was reading on Firefox about Gore Vidal's burial. When I opened that page on Safari, the ad in the exact same spot was for Catholic University's master's program in human resources management.

How did Republican Jeff and Democratic Jeff end up seeing entirely different ads? The answer is real-time bidding, a technology that's transforming advertising, politics, news and the way we live online. Advertisers compete in an auction for the opportunity to send ads to individual consumers. Each time a company buys access to me, it can bombard me with an ad that will follow me no matter where I show up on the Web.

To dig deeper into my new identities, I visited the Web site of BlueKai, one of the leading online data aggregators. The company's software enables its customers to sort consumers into 30,000 market segments like "light spenders" and "safety-net seniors," and this fine-grained categorization helps make real-time bidding possible. According to BlueKai, Republican Jeff is someone who makes between $60,000 and $74,999 a year, lives in Portland, Me., is interested in luxury cars, celebrities and TV, may have bought a cruise ticket, is an ideal candidate to take out a mortgage and a "midscale thrift spender." Democratic Jeff is someone who lives in Los Angeles, Long Beach or Santa Ana, runs a large company with more than 5,001 employees and cares about advertising and marketing. Neither of these profiles is accurate. Nevertheless, the pigeonholing of Republican Jeff and Democratic Jeff represents our digital future.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Did anyone ever figure out if Microsoft was collecting hidden cookies that users can't erase? There was some talk about that being possible, a few years back, but nothing lately.

What about "Flash cookies"? Are they real, and if so, how can I control them?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

I don't know about Microsoft hidden cookies, but flash cookies are real, and they are sneaky. First, your browser's "clear cookies" and other cookie settings don't affect flash cookies at all. You may think they aren't tracking you when they are. Second, flash cookies work across browsers. Open IE, get a flash cookie for a web site, close IE, open Firefox and revisit the same site, and that site sees the cookie set by the IE visit. In fact, if the advertisers tracking Jeff used flash cookies, they would have quickly figured out that Democratic Jeff and Republican Jeff were the same person. Third, they don't expire.

A Firefox extension called "BetterPrivacy" controls what they call "SuperCookies", you can delete them or have them deleted automatically as well as prevent certain ones from being deleted.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Thanks for the info: I appreciate it.

I'll ask that you and other readers post information about these and other monitoriing and tracking technologies, and ways to circumvent them. TIA.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Michael Moroney

Yes, they're real. They're called "Local Shared Objects" (LSOs).

Firefox (since v.4) (and perhaps other browsers) treats them the same as ordinary cookies, CCleaner (free cleaner program, highly recommended) can be set to delete them (by default it doesn't). Probably other anti-spyware/malware programs have similar options.

Reply to
Dave Garland

So what of folks like me, who block all ads. I mean every single one of them.

Reply to
T

Looking at your system backups you are able to see what files change while running your browser. That will allow you to reverse engineer what is being stored locally on your system. Be sure to check file contents and not just timestamps, some things update files without changing the timestamp.

On my unix systems I find the following helpful:

% rm -rf ~/.adobe ~/.macromedia % touch ~/.adobe ~/.macromedia % chmod 444 ~/.adobe ~/.macromedia

Some flash based websites won't work anymore, but I'm usually happier that way.

Stuart Barkley

Reply to
Stuart Barkley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.