Re: Use of a Mysterious Cookie Irks Some Internet Users

> By DAVID KESMODEL THE WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE

>> Earlier this summer, Uno Bloom, a songwriter in Brentwood, Tenn., >> noticed that his home computer appeared to be slowing down. He >> searched the files on his hard drive in an effort to uncover clutter, >> and found dozens of Internet cookies labeled "2o7.net." > Maybe I'm being dim, but I don't see how cookies will make a system slow > down appreciably.

Well, Spybot detects 2o7.net tracking cookies as spyware. Maybe Uno Bloom was mistaking cookies for spyware.

I think that the effect of a website storing cookies on your computer is typically blown way out of proportion by the press and much of the computer industry.

Of course, I do still block cookies from netshelter.net, 2o7.net, advertising.com and several other similar companies that try to put them on my computer because I don't think there's any great need for anyone to be tracking which banner ads I've been shown. (I know they'd disagree.) :)

Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED Company website:

formatting link
blog, resume, portfolio:
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Reply to
Steve Sobol
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.