Low-cost calling options for U.S. <> Iraq [telecom]

I've gotten a call from the wife of a U.S. serviceman in Iraq: she is seeking low-cost calling options to keep in touch with him.

Please submit any information you have, and I'll publish the results here. TIA.

Bill

(Filter QRM for direct replies)

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

It's probably going to depend on what phone service he has available. Looks like landlines are about half the cost of cell phones.

talkloop.com (prepay) price/minute Iraq - AsiaCell Mobile 770, 7710 $0.132 Iraq - Atheer Mobile 780 $0.1425 Iraq - Baghdad 1 $0.04925 Iraq - KorekTel Mobile 75 $0.14628 Iraq - Kurdish Mobile 730 $0.146 Iraq - Orascom Mobile 790 $0.13816 Iraq - Other $0.072

Of course, if both of them have computers with broadband and can use Skype or similar, it doesn't cost anything.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Any MARS connections?

***** Moderator's Note *****

It's not used anymore: the services have combined their MARS systems and are focusing on disaster preparedness. Soldiers overseas have periodic access to email, and sometimes (although, in this case, I guess not) to voice circuits via the Internet.

I don't know what the details are: as with any combat area, it's probably different from camp to camp.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.