Last Laugh! Now That's What I Call Fat

Man Who Weighed 1,000 Pounds Down to 400 Neighbors Say He Must Have 'Lost Some Weight'.

Patrick Deuel, who once weighed more than 1,000 pounds, has lost another 81 pounds in a surgery that removed a mass of fat and skin hanging from his midsection.

"He's doing well," said Dr. Fred Harris, who performed the surgery Tuesday.

The mass, called a pannus, made it difficult for Deuel, 43, of Valentine, Neb., to walk.

Surgery to remove it had been scheduled for January, but the procedure was postponed when Deuel got the flu.

With the surgery, Deuel now weighs about 400 pounds.

He could lose even more through exercise, said Harris.

"But if Patrick never lost another pound, I'd be a happy camper," Harris said.

When Deuel came to Sioux Falls for gastric bypass surgery in 2004, he weighed 1,072 pounds. An emergency required that medical EMT workers or 'first responders' try to assist him at his home.

He was so large his bedroom wall had to be cut out to extract him from his home. He was rushed to the hospital in an 'ambulance' with extra-wide doors and a ramp-and-winch system that had to be dispatched from Denver. The 'ambulance' which conveyed him from his home to the hospital gave more the appearance of being a semi-trailer truck; when the medic-responders got him out of his house, the ramp-and-winch was used to hoist him up and into the semi-trailer truck. It then followed the 'ambulance' and the procedure went in reverse when they got to the hospital, where the winch lowered him, a loading dock and freight elevator took him to a room.

Gastric bypass surgery, a stomach stapling procedure, was thought to be his best chance for permanent weight loss.

Information from: Argus Leader,

formatting link
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at

formatting link
. Hundreds of new articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
formatting link
(or)
formatting link
For more headline news from Associated Press, please go to:
formatting link
[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Just imagine having that much fat on yourself! Do any older readers here recall a fellow who was known on television in the late 1940's and early 1950's as "Two-Ton Baker". He sold automobiles for some car dealer on the north side of Chicago, played the piano as part of his routine, and I do not know which was more obvious: his Obnoxiousness or his Fatness. Two-Ton would sit at the keyboard to play and sing about the cars for sale at the used car dealer where he worked; his stomach would quiver like a bowl full of jelly, he would laugh and from time to time would say 'come on up to your screen and give old Two-Ton a great big kiss.' Then the camera would close in on him puckering his lips and slobbering at the viewers. I think his name was a misnomer; he did not weight 4800 pounds (two tons) but he did weigh about five or six hundred pounds. It was a disgusting performance, but I guess it sold used cars back in the 1950's; he was on television several years until he died, probably from all that fat. PAT]

Reply to
Associated Press News Wire
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.