Just so you know it's not all fun and tech-talk here at T-D central [nfp]

Periodically, I get emails like the one shown below, and sometimes I also get reminders that I haven't included the URL's the script kiddies asked me to put up for them.

These oh-so-folksy messages are intended for those who've inherited responsibility for a company or school or club website, without experience or training. We've all been there, and we all know that it takes a while to get used to winnowing the wheat away from the chaff.

This particular chaff is an automated attempt to convince me to include a web link in an issue of the Digest that's about two years old: no doubt, it's got a few keywords that they want to be associated with, not because they're interested in telecommunicaitons, but because the count of web links that point to a particular site is a critical factor in determining the "page rank" that site gets on Internet search engines such as Google. Increasing page ranking is the ne plus ultra of the SEO world: it's what the script kiddies who write, and then spam me with this carp are trying to accomplish.

So, as a public service, I'm passing along this oh-so-touching-but-not-in-a-good-way attempt to help some fast buck artist make some extra money. Please spread the word: the original email, with headers, is available for anyone who is in the business and willing to write to me offline.

Oh, and please feel free to use the phone number that's listed to tell "Amber" that I think bridges should be made out of steel, and that he/she/it is wasting his/her/their time sending this to me.

Bill Horne

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.