Re: Quote of the day - or maybe of the decade [Telecom]

My cable carrier recently 'upgraded' our system with digital. > The cable boxes (required now) send stuff back, so they can > track what you choose to watch...

What does the franchise agreement say about "send[ing] stuff back?"

It's been several years since I was involved with CATV franchising (I retired in 2000), but practically every franchise agreement I ever saw contained language prohibiting monitoring a subscriber's activities without the subscriber's written permission. I doubt that these prohibitions have been revoked.

You might want to take a look at the franchise agreement. Your local public library may have a copy in its reference section. The CATV company itself should have a copy in its public inspection file (if it doesn't, it's in violation of FCC rules). Or you could contact your local franchising authority (LFA) and request a copy. Your cable bill should include the name and phone number of your LFA (if it doesn't, that's another FCC violation).

If you find such a prohibition and decide to file a complaint with the CATV company, be sure to send a copy to the LFA. And keep us posted here on TD.

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.