History -- introduction of Touch Tone in Independent Companies? [telecom]

1993 is awfully late. I understand by that point virtually the whole country was on ESS which of course supported both.

Independent companies serving small exchanges were especially anxious to switch over since the maintenance savings were very significant. For SxS, they had to send a man out to add/change/delete a number, but I think on ESS the computer handled that automatically; that is, the distributing frame was automated. ESS of course required lower physical maintenance, too.

Some rural areas were growing very rapidly and a new exchange was needed. ESS allowed re-use of an existing building instead of building an extension.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

For the most part no one had o be sent out to make a cross connect, that is in offices that had the cosmic frames and the line card was cross connected to a cable pair. When we GTE cut over switches we rain all the jumpers needed for active lines and most of the others, this was more of a fact in remote offices, not the base. The California company got rid of most of the frame people, if not all of them. I always thought this was an error and short sited by the company, since the switch people were busy with a lot of other things. When we built new remotes, the maintenance had the CO installers do all the cross connects since they did not have the personal or the time to do it.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Steven Lichter wrote in news:SEjnk.17337$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:

Steve.

I appreciate the cautionary note. My former employer company e-mail addreses end with a typical .com, as oposed to the subscriber .net e- address.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.