Help Setting Up a VoIP Regulatory Framework

Hi,

Let's say country "A"s telecom regulatory board is trying to open-up the VOIP (call termination) which was branded illegal since long ago. The new regulatory commission wants to empower the people by introducing a transparent VoIP regulatory framework with two goals:

a. Cheaper international call rate for the resident of "A".

b. Building nationwide IP infrastructure with local entrepreneurs' e.g. cable operators, broadband companies.

The country might be as small as New York State, but the estimated population can be 130 million. More than 60 per cent of the populations do not have telephone access which is one of the driving points for legalizing VoIP. The population is so huge that all the cell phone companies (which still lacks interconnectivity with incumbent PSTN) are earning record level profit margin. The country is connected to only one submarine internet backbone. Most ISP's are using low capacity VSAT's as backup service.

So, if you are asked to help on setting up framework of VoIP regulation which might help earning revenue for this developing country "A", what would you do?

If you ask me, here is my plan. Please correct me if I go wrong.

a. Setting up a EMUM server.

b. The ENUM server will resolve all the calls routed inbound for Country "A".

c. The ENUM server will be connected to a "packet clearing house" for necessary revenue collection.

d. Minimum entry fee for the service providers, with annually revenue sharing of 5% (for example) and collected as License Fees.

e. Outgoing calls might not be charged when the system is inducted initially. The rate is low when compared to incoming calls. The residents mostly think that the expats will always call.

f. The service providers (PSTN, cell phone, cable companies) should connect to that "packet clearing house" over IP, and they should own compatible softswitches for that.

g. International bandwidth sold to VoIP operators will be through that "packet clearing house". VoIP operators won't be allowed to have VSAT or IPLC link.

h. Operator should not by-pass IP packet (VoIP/Internet) using any other path (like VPN tunnels) other than they have registered. DPI (Deep packet inspection) technology can be utilized should any operator projects lower revenue as expected.

I haven't thought of MNP, emergency services etc. which are yet to be implemented in Country "A". I'm not also sure about the interconnectivity switching solution for legacy SS7 signaling and VoIP. I saw some of the NGN switches in ZTE and Huawei channel, but I'm a little skeptical about that.

Thanks in advance.

Raqueeb Hassan Bangladesh

Reply to
Raqueeb Hassan
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.