EXchanges (was: area code named beer) [telecom]

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 00:50:36 -0400 From: tlvp To: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.telecom-digest.org. Subject: Re: EXchanges (was: area code named beer) Message-ID:

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 20:28:10 -0400, after tlvp wrote

It has come in handy a few times where you need to dial and the "dial" function of whatever is handy doesn't work.

3) Q.: Will hook-flash dialing still work on today's DTMF-based PBXes?

It does not work with any VoIP "gateway" product I've come across, I can tell you this. We don't presently deploy these devices anywhere, but, in my own limited testing, "pulse" dialing doesn't work. If anything, it causes the port to reset as though you have hung up the phone. If there is an "adapter" made for such a legacy device, readily available, I don't know.

This had at least stopped my from a novelty project of putting a rotary 1A2 set on our VoIP system here, but, if it were deployed as a "Solution" to replacing phones in a business type environs, I can see calls coming in from people who flipped the T/P switch and now cannot dial. I haven't tried on some of the older equipment like the Merlin Legend , which I should .

Reply to
Pawlowski, Adam
Loading thread data ...

[NOTE that I have corrected an error, in the above quoted paragraph]

Yes, in the Kansas City MO/KS metro area, local/EAS calls _within_ one's _own_ state/NPA are still dialable as just seven-digits, although ten-digits (and 1+ten-digits) are permissive for such intra-state/NPA local/EAS calls,

but local/EAS calls that _cross_ the state/NPA boundary are now mandatory ten-digits (permissively 1+ten-digits).

The 816/MO side is eventually going to be overlaid with 975. This was announced by SW-Bell and NeuStar-NANPA ten years ago, back in 2001, but it has been "on hold" ever since. Whenever that 816/975 overlay does take effect, then ten-digits mandatory will also take effect for local/EAS calls within the 816/MO-side. I don't know if at&t/SW-Bell and the rest of the telco industry, along with Kansas regulatory and NANPA, will work to make local/EAS calls within the 913/KS-side also as mandatory ten-digits for "consistency" purposes, nor not. Of course, whenever the 913/KS-side ever does need relief which is also most likely going to be an overlay, then ten-digits will become mandatory for intra-913/KS local/EAS calls as well, if not already so by then. BTW, 552 is the likely relief code for 913/KS.

**** MAYBE NOT 552! 552 is now a future 5xx PCS code! Also, 913/KS is NOT expected to exhaust for QUITE some time now (as of 2011) ****

When the Ottawa-ON / Hull-QC metro area needed to eliminate protected c.o.codes/7-digit local/EAS dialling to delay area code relief by "squeezing" as much remaining life as possible from 613/ON and 819/QC, Bell Canada, the CRTC, the CNA, etc. actually made local/EAS dialling as mandatory ten-digits _throughout the entire_ 613/ON-side _and_

819/QC-side, even for intra-province/NPA local/EAS calls _everywhere_ in those NPAs, even in places outside of the Ottawa-ON / Hull-QC metro area. Subsequently, the (entire) 613/ON-side has been overlaid with 343 (in 2010). The (entire) 819/QC-side will be overlaid with 873 next year (in 2012).

Note that the numbering/dialing of Washington DC Metro (including the VA and MD suburbs) converting from 2L-4N to 2L-5N was a "staged" process. There were two or three staggered cutovers affecting specific exchanges/central offices in various neighberhoods of the metro area in the late 1940s/early 1950s-era. Other cities which changed from

2L-4N to 2L-5N did it as a single city/metro-wide cutover, where _everything_ in the entire metro area that was 2L-4N changed to 2L-5N all at one time, overnight (literally). But not the Washington DC metro area, nor various other (multi-switch) cities. However, any/all cutovers in the old electromechanical (SXS, Panel, Crossbar, etc) era that involved numbering/dialing did NOT have a permissive period, but such numbering/dialing cutovers were "flash-cut" (or nearly so, i.e. there might have been an inadvertent permissive dial period for a few hours or even a few days, as telco had to individually "turn-on" the new numbering/dialing, and then "turn-off" the old/obsolete numbering/ dialing).

It was in October 1990, when the correct destination area code was now _required_ for ten-digit (permissively 1+ten-digit) local/EAS dialing which crossed the state/district/NPA boundaries between DC/VA/MD. Permissive ten-digit local/EAS dialing (also permissive as

1+ten-digits) had been in place by BA/C&P for some time prior to October 1990, though.
[NOTE that I have slightly edited, and corrected an error, in the above quoted paragraph]

BTW, probably sometime next year, the eastern Maryland (Baltimore, Annapolis, etc. area), with 410-overlaid-with-443 (since 1997; also the 301/410 split was in 1991), will get an additional overlay with

667. NeuStar-NANPA/etc. announced this additional overlay in 2001, but it has never been actually implemented. Also in 2001, the additional 227 overlay to 301-and-240 for western Maryland (DC metro as well as points further west, bordering West Virginia, (WV, BTW since 2009, has been 304-overlaid-with-681), but there have never been any formal implementation dates announced for this additional Maryland 301/240/227 overlay. Of course, ten-digit dialing within the state is mandatory for all local/EAS calling (1+ten-digits permissive for local/EAS), so the groundwork is already in place.

Some time back, it was thought that either 746 or 821 could have been the relief area codes for future 202/DC relief. But neither will be the case, since 202-746 and 202-821 are already now assigned as "POTS"

202-NXX c.o.codes in DC.

It seems that the future relief code for 202/DC might now be 771.

381 seems to be the future relief code for 703/571 in northern VA.

All kidding aside, 666 can NOT be a geographic NPA code. Remember that NPAs with an identical digit in the second (B) and third (C) position are RESERVED (or eventually assigned) for "special" functions. These are SACs, the original definition (which I prefer) was "Special Area Code", but the 1980s/forward definition is "Service Access Code".

800, 888, 877, 866, 855, etc. Toll-Free, 500, 533, 544, 566, etc. once for Personal Numbering (but now the 5YY SACs are used for some indeterminable function!), 900, future 922, etc. PAY-PAY-PAY per-call, 700 LD-Carrier services, and the 6YY range (600, 622, etc.) all fit this criteria.

The entire 6YY range, including 666, with 600 being the only assigned such SAC "in service" at present (since 610 was swapped for 600 in

1993), is reserved for Canada for their own special services.

ALSO, HAncock4 wrote:

Washington DC (eventually including the Maryland suburbs, but I don't know about the northern Virginia suburbs) was one of the twenty-some metro areas in the US, most of them being BIG urban metro areas, which went dial in the 1920s/30s with Panel switching, latter supplemented with #1XB, i.e., "Revertive Pulsing". There were no other areas in the US that had such Panel/#1XB (RP) switching, and NONE in Canada (except for the experimental "Lorimer" RP systems that didn't last long, in the EARLIEST part of the 20th Century, in a few places in Canada).

During the 1950s, #5XB (which was brand new as of 1948) began to be added to both Panel/#1XB cities, as well as SXS cities, throughout all of the US and Canada. #5XB was also used for manual-to-dial conversions, as well as continued brand new installations of SXS for manual-to-dial conversions, well into the 1960s-era.

Mark J. Cuccia markjcuccia at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Mark J. Cuccia

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.