Early BSTJ submarine cable article [Telecom]

While digging into the July 1964 issue of BSTJ for some classic early Bell Labs papers on lasers -- sorry, optical masers -- I noted that it was also a special issue on submarine cables, with the opening paper being

The SD Submarine Cable System

Page(s) 1155-1184

Ehrbar, R.D.; Fraser, J.M.; Kelley, R.A.; Morris, L.H.; Mottram, E.T.; Rounds, P.W.

Submarine cable systems of a new design have reccently been installed between Florida and Panama, between New Jersey and Cornwall, Englund, and between Hawaii and Japan. Using a single lightweight armorless cable for most of the route, with electron tube amplifiers encased in rigid containers at 20-mile intervals, this type of system will carry 128 channels in each direclion.

More detailed discussion of cable , repeaters, and power equipment will be found in companion articles. This article outlines the system development objectives, gives an over-all system description, and describes the equalization plan and terminal equipment ...

My OCRing is not too good, but anyone is interested the original is available at

Each of the 128 channels in each direction had a 3 kc bandwidth by the way.

***** Moderator's Note *****

I corrected the quote as best I could. For the future, if an OCR program makes too many errors, please leave out the quote or type it by hand. TIA.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
AES
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.