Cord PBX shown in new TV show [telecom]

The new ABC-Family cable show "The Middleman" had a very quick glimpse of a 555 cord PBX switchboard, used when the office assistant had to make a phone call. The assistant also used the classic 1960s style operator's headset*. (52 series?)

The paused image was fuzzy on my VCR, but it looked like the board was beat-up with missing jack lamps.

The show, a comedy, is a spoof on comic superheros fighting evil. It's strange, but enjoyable. Fast paced. It runs multiple times a week (check local listings).

*Not only did telephone operators wear them, but they were also commonly seen in NASA's Houston control center and on TV cameramen. In the mid-1970s new models came out, with a thin tube replacing the bubble transmitter end and an earpiece replacing the receiver end. (Operators told me they didn't like the internal earpiece).

For my cellphone, I bought a Panasonic generic headset for $15 at an big box office supply store and it works fine. I don't mind the cord. It supposedly will work in cordless landline phones, too. I note this since the cellphone stores had fancy headsets for much more money. Also, a friend who has an at&t cellphone says only special headsets will work for their models. I'm not interested in "Bluetooth" units that clip to the ear (where is the transmitter in those things?)

As an aside, some singers wear headsets while performing and dancing. I think that's ugly. When they turn around you can see the transceiver mounted on the back of their outfit. I presume the transmitter on those units is of much higher fidelity than a telephone grade transmitter.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

It is. These days there's no reason why electret microphones (which are tiny) can't be used, and those can be very good. Singers like the headset mikes because they let them move around without being tethered to a mike (if you don't keep your mouth at exactly the same distance from the mike, which needs to be pretty close to exclude outside noise, the level keeps changing).

I think most telephones these days use electret transmitters too. Of course, the fidelity is limited by the audio bandwidth available from the telco. The transmitter is usually capable of far better.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Yes in fact my DECT cordless has very sensitive microphones. So much so that the speakerphone functionality actually works very well.

Reply to
T

Both the cell-phone and the ear-piece contain bluetooth transceivers.

Reply to
Steve Kostecke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.