AT&T U-verse [Telecom]

I have had DSL for some years and as of late have had major speed problems; speed as low as 32kps; I'm told it is do to the age of the cable; 30+ years old and having been put on a Network Router with heavy users; gamers.

I have just ordered U-verse and have been told I will not have the same problems since it is Fiber and then copy the last 2000 feed; still the same old cable; Am I going to have the same problems? I have Elite DSL, and am sticking for 6M at least for now.

I have been telecom for over 40 years in COEI and have installed DSL CO switches as well as Verizon(GTE) Fios and that is fast since it is glass until the last 50 feet.

Reply to
Steven
Loading thread data ...

One of the issues with network performace is the software on the routers. ISP owned routers should be updated regularly but they aren't.

I keep the firmware on my equipment up to current versions. Same with the computers, I try to keep the latest hardware drivers going.

Your speed will increase because they'll give you a new DSL modem.

Reply to
T

I'm switching from 6[Megabit/sec] DSL to 6M U-verse. The systems are totally different: it rides on glass from the CO, then to copper for the last 1000 feet (unless it is a new build area), then it is fiber to the door. I was told by a DSL tech that what appears to have happened in my case [was that] I was on a Network Router with high use (Gamers), [and] they are supposed be monitor that kind of activity so that [they can correct it] if speeds get too slow; much like the old busy time trunking in old CO's [where] they move customers or trunking to spreed the traffic around.

Reply to
Steven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.