AnandTech founder retiring from tech publishing [telecom]

The Road Ahead

by Anand Lal Shimpi August 30, 2014 AnandTech

Both of my parents were teachers, and for as long as I can remember they both encouraged me to do something in life that would help others. I figured being a doctor would be the most obvious way to do that, but growing up around a pair of teachers must've rubbed off on me. My venue wouldn't be the classroom but rather the Internet. On April 26, 1997, armed with very little actual knowledge, I began to share what I had with the world on a little Geocities site named Anand's Hardware Tech Page. Most of what I knew was wrong or poorly understood, but I was 14 years old at the time. Little did I know that I had nearly two decades ahead of me to fill in the blanks. I liked the idea of sharing knowledge online and the thought of building a resource where everyone who was interested in tech could find something helpful.

That's the short story of how I started AnandTech. There's a lot more to it involving an upgrade to the AMD K6, a PC consulting business I ran for 2 years prior and an appreciation for writing that I didn't know I had - but that's the gist.

I'm 32 now. The only things that've been more of a constant in my life than AnandTech are my parents. I've spent over half of my life learning about, testing, analyzing and covering technology. And I have to say, I've enjoyed every minute of it.

But after 17.5 years of digging, testing, analyzing and writing about the most interesting stuff in tech, it's time for a change. This will be the last thing I write on AnandTech as I am officially retiring from the tech publishing world.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.