Analog cell phone equipment

|On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 12:33:47AM -0400, Dan Lanciani wrote: |> I finally gave in and cancelled my analog cell phone service. This |> leaves me with a fair bit of quipment that is headed for the trash |> unless someone wants it. I have: |> |> -a number of MicroTac Elites (mostly EE2, one EE3) |> -a number of 3W car kits for the above (mostly EE2, one EE3) |> (One car kit is mounted in a bag phone bag for portable operation.) |> -a number of bag phones of various vintages |> -RJ11 adapters for both the Elite and bag phones (or Elite in car kit) |> -assorted chargers, cigarette lighter adapters, cables, cradles, antennas |> |> Dan Lanciani |> ddl@danlan.*com | |Dan, | |I suggest you donate the items to a local battered women's shelter or |other charitable organization.

Would they want them with analog service going away in a few months? Would they understand that they shouldn't be handing them out as emergency phones for the same reason?

|If you prefer to have them picked up, |you might put an ad in the "free" section of Craigslist.

I don't know. It would have to be a pretty specialized need and I'd be worried that readers of those lists would think they were getting something for consumer use. The only applications I can think of are (a) another country that isn't phasing out analog yet, (b) building your own phone system and/or adapting to amateur frequencies, or (c) cannibalizing for parts. Thus I started with comp.dcom.telecom and may move on to some of the ham/electronics groups if there is no interest here.

Dan

***** Moderator's Note *****

As you can see, Mr. Lanciani offered to donate some analog equipment, and I suggested he consider a more local forum than C.D.T.

However, he makes a good point, so with AMPS going away, I'll ask the readership for feedback: please tell us if AMPS is going to be used in any other places for a enough time to make donations worthwhile, or if there are other uses for the analog cell equipment in general.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

One problem with old telephone sets is that the batteries are unable to hold a charge for very long* and replacement batteries are unavailable. One of the reasons I switched to digital was that my Motorola 550 batteries were good for only about 15 minutes of talk time. I basically just used it as a car phone where I had the car charger to power it. I tried looking for batteries but couldn't find any new ones; used ones at yard sales were no good, couldn't hold a charge at all.

(One reason I kept my old phone was that my service for me needs was very cheap, only $20 a month. But Verizon offered some nice intermediate plans to stay with them along with a decent free phone so I upgraded to digital. The newer phones and more comprehensive plans did encourage me to use the cell phone more than I did in the past.)

*Battery life in my new digital phone doesn't seem so good. In one cycle, I had the phone only when I made calls on it. I made three 20 minute calls and that exhausted the battery (total 60 minutes of talk time). I thought a modern battery would do better. It seems that other people get more usage out of their phones, plus they leave them on 24/7. Perhaps I should complain to Verizon? It's hard to judge battery life since normally standby time is mixed in.
Reply to
hancock4
[...]

Or just look in the local phone book to see if you have a Batteries Plus outlet nearby. They can do it.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.