Programming a Sony CM-M1300 cell phone?

First, is this is not the right newsgroup to ask this, tell me and I will look elswhere.

I am trying to hold on to my original analog cell phone account on, what was SNET and is now Cingular until the time comes and they shut it down. I have a decent Motorola flip phone (the MicroTac 650) but it has no phone book capabilities for name and #. I got hold of this neat Sony CM-M1300 on Ebay that says "dual AMPS 832/CDMA wideband".

Question 1: is AMPS the same as the original analog system used by SNET in Connecticut?

If yes, then would it be possible to use this phone on that system and somehow have it default to AMPS all the time? (Their digital system is GSM)

Lastly, if we are still a go here... where can I get hold of the programming info to take the codes from my Motorola phone and place them in the Sony? I know that the nice folks at Cingular will not know how, much less want to help me with this.

Thanks for reading...

George

Reply to
G.I.O.
Loading thread data ...

Probably, but this have gotten very confused lately with all the different carriers and their different frequencies.

Most phones, in their setup, have options to be one or the other or automatically switch with one preferred. You would need to look at the documentation for the phone, though.

Cingular will at least need to be involved. Part of the authentication when you make a call is the ESN (electronic serial number) of the phone. No matter what you do, the new phone won't work unless Cingular changes the ESN listed in the records corresponding with your number.

-- Gary Breuckman

Reply to
Gary Breuckman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.