what electronic stuff is there in UK postboxes?

Our local one has its own midget MI5 agaent inside, who takes X-ray photocopies of each letter as it drops through the slot.

Seriously though, I've seen inside the postbox and there's no gadgetry inside, just a wire cage that contains the post till the postman collects it.

Reply to
joeh
Loading thread data ...

Indeed. I also recall the story of J B Morton ('Beachcomber') who would attract a crowd by walking up to a postbox and shouting into the letter slot 'It's safe to come out now!'

Reply to
joseph.hutcheon

Even worse - they're in cahoots with Cahoots to track his online banking!

Reply to
joseph.hutcheon

Does he m*******te though, in the post box?

Reply to
Jay

Not enough elbow-room.

Reply to
joseph.hutcheon

My old fella works for the P.O. There are no devices. They scan a barcode at each post box, into a hand held device. This lets the gaffers know when and which boxes are empty.

Don't know anything about mysterious airwaves and MI5 operatives masterbating on video outside.

Reply to
Jay

My closest post box is visible through my front window I have no interference on either radio TV or wifi signals. I've been there several times when postie opened the box. The letters are held in a wire mesh cage. He puts them in his sack and closes the door.

I feel like I'm on one of the video bits of the Teletubbies - why don't you know this? What electronics were you expecting?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bailey

He is sure of no devices, just called him. Just the barcode. Gonna find out about the business boxes for you.

Reply to
Jay

I'd be grateful for info as to what electronic gadgetry is installed in UK postboxes.

How are visits by Royal Mail workers to empty the boxes logged electronically?

Presumably the vans are all satellite-tracked. But what gizmo do the workers use to 'shake hands' with the gadgetry in the box?

And what about 'business postboxes' - the ones for franked mail only? Just try using your car radio near one. You probably won't be able to, because of the electromagnetic interference.

Reply to
banana

they use special X rays to scan every piece of mail and record every letter everybody sends, it's all done by secret MI5 operatives, just ask Mike Corley.

Reply to
Diversity Isn't A Codeword

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:14:56 GMT, "Diversity Isn't A Codeword"

mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

That could mean the Royal Mail is in cahoots with MI5 *and* the BBC because they spy on him through his TV set.

Is this a devious plot by organs of the state I ask myself?

Reply to
hummingbird

Does anyone remember the old 'Candid Camera' joke years ago when they had the talking postbox?

They had a microphone and loudspeaker rigged up inside it and would attempt to engage passers-by in conversation. When they found someone who was prepared to talk to the postbox (thus earning rather strange looks from other people) they'd try to pursuade him to get someone else to talk to it and, if he did, would stop talking when he fetched them.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Glynn

On 1 Nov 2005 03:54:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

Was it David Blunkett inside the box I wonder? ;-)

Reply to
hummingbird

On 1 Nov 2005 04:31:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

Anybody sane would keep his stash in a secret hideout. I can't say about Mike Corley ;-)

Reply to
hummingbird

Why do you want to know? Are you a wannabe terrorist?

Reply to
PeterCB

In article , banana writes

I've counted 11 replies so far, all of them content-free as far as the topic goes. I wonder how many of the authors even knew there was any electronics inside postboxes? (Well you know now, because I've just told you. Find the information hard to deal with? Well wait around until a postie opens the door and collects the letters). Or how many would have sufficient interest to try to use a radio in proximity to one of the 'business postboxes'?

Responses from those with something to say - e.g. if you work for the 'Royal Mail' - would be very welcome.

Reply to
banana

In article , Jay writes

Thanks for this. Also it lets them know what time the worker has visited the box. Are you saying there's only a printed barcode in the box...no electronic tag of any kind?

Why is there so much interference on car radios close to business boxes?

Reply to
banana

In article , PeterCB writes

ROFLMFAO!

If you're interested, using lamp-posts for wireless communications 'meshes' has been on the cards for some time:

Mustn't grumble, eh? Wouldn't want shit-for-brains cretins to call us 'terrorists'. Only baby-eaters grumble, right? Only subway-gassers think our lovely rulers could possibly be up to no good, right?

Reply to
banana

Of course, how do think he reseals any envelopes that he opens?

Reply to
Hognoxious

All foreign language letters are sent to GCHQ for translation prior to sending on. I got this from a man in the pub last night.

Reply to
Archie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.