Wireless Panic Button that dials to mobile numbers?

Hi all, can anybody tell me if there is on the market a portable Panic Button that when pushed will trigger a dial-out to pre-configured mobile numbers? I've been scouting on the net, but all similar devices seem to be provided by security companies and connected with some kind of security/medical services. What I need is a device I can give my mother (who lives alone but close by to relatives) to carry with her at all times: when in need, she can push the button and the only desired action is a call or an SMS to be sent to a couple of mobile numbers. I believe the only service that should be needed is a website to which the device should connect - the website then would link the device to the preset and pre-configured mobile numbers and deliver the actions (pre-recorded messages voice calls, or SMS messages). I believe technology for this does indeed exists, but I cannot find it at all! My mother had a stroke and effects got worsened because she was found only a good few hours after the incident. She lives alone and really wants to continue doing so, independently. A similar device would allow us to intervene immediately - or call the Emergency services. Thanks in advance for any response you can give!

Reply to
jollyttt
Loading thread data ...

Radio shack sells a unit you can program your self to do what you want with no fees.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

The problem with auto diallers calling a cell number or SMS messaging is that there's always the chance you'll miss the call. I certainly wouldn't put someone as special as your mother at risk of that. Have the system answered professionally by a properly listed central station and installed/serviced by a qualified alarm dealer. Your mom is worth it.

Reply to
Frank Olson

There are 2 or 3 systems that come to mind that do this: One was made by Ameriphone. It was discontinued this year. There are too many things that can go wrong dialing cell phones. Good wireless is supervised, who gets the signal? who acts on it?

How close is nearest relative? Across the street? I can get a wireless signal there if that helps but I'd install a monitored dialer there too if I was you.

I use THE best wireless on the market (because I like to sleep nights) If you're in North America, I can help. snipped-for-privacy@medi-call.ca I'll show you the cheap stuff too as long as you are aware of weaknesses.

Reply to
mikey

you could try to install a alarm system and equip you mom with a man down detector (visonic type MDT-122). That way she can either push the panic button or just collapse.

greetz, Rob schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Rob

hahahahahahahahahahaha, I get them whining about a 1.5oz transmitter, good luck with that monster. But I like the man-down thing. That tilt switch sounds primitive though, a fall detector is what's required, an acceleration switch or something that senses that 'heart in the mouth' feel of a fall. I can't believe we still don't have it, I think I've heard of accelometres, pricey I guess.

Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.