Using sounder smokes with out reversing relay

Went to buy some smokes from alarm supply house other day and along with the smokes I picked up the reversing relay that makes them all sound on the line if any single unit activates . Makes sense want to wake the house up right? Counter guy tells me congratulations your one of the only dealers who buys the relay when you purchase the smokes. He then asks why are others not buying it and how are they installing the smokes to work properly good ? either they are not using them at all and allowing one smoke activated sound or they are using a cheaper burg relay to do it a very dangerous choice. In either case how are they getting this by AHJ if there being used for primary service?

I say it shows installer and alarm dealer ignorance and lack of education or outright greed by not using it one more dollars profit.. What do you think?

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

I think if there is a proper annunciation device(s), the whole damn house wakes up from one or two interior sirens.

And 2-wire smokes will save money on power loss relays and 4c cable.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I think I would have asked him, why he doesn't suggest it to the people buying the smokes.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

How about a company that allows the customer decide what's right. The place I used to work for had a rich customer (if I told you the name of the pyramid scheme, you would recognize it) who doesn't like loud noises so they asked for, and received, non-sounding smokes and no siren. I did an annual inspection and you cannot hear the keypad from the second floor hall, not to mention the bedrooms.

Don't know for certain how the house got occupancy but when have more money than God and relatives in politics I suppose anything is possible.

I noted it on my inspection report along with a memo up the chain saying we ought to make sure they know what will happen in a fire.

I got back a polite, "Sit down and shut the f*ck up."

One brother (a couple siblings now own the company) has his house wired to do everything but turn on it's side and shake in a fire, but this other one... nothing.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.