Theft alarm for portable generator?

I have a Concord Express home alarm system monitored by Vector Security. They have so far been unable to help me with my question:

I have purchased an expensive portable generator to provide power during our frequent outages. The generator is stored in my garage, but must be wheeled outside to the driveway when it is in use. I would like to devise some sort of sensor that would trigger the alarm system if the security cable is cut or the sensor is disturbed. Can you suggest anything that might work? The generator will be run under cover, protected from rain/snow but open on the sides for ventilation. As an additional deterrent the generator will also be chained to a sturdy anchor system buried 36=94 in the ground.

Reply to
Curmudgeon
Loading thread data ...

RHC: Seems you could do a couple of simple things

1-Make sure your chain is boron steel so it can't be easily cut. This type of steel chain is VERY expensive and must be matched with a lock of equal strength. Plan on spending $100 for a six foot length of chain and another $250 for a matching quality lock (remember this is only as good as the weakest part of the arrangement so if your post is mickey mouse so is the whole arrangement.....) 2-You could also wire up a loop from a spare zone on your alarm panel with a switch on a 24 hr loop underneath one of the wheels. If it moves, the switch opens and the alarm goes off. However, make sure you put this on an "on off" bypass switch in the garage so you can close the "always armed" closed loop when you need to position or move the generator. Wouldn't hurt to have a second siren in the garage so it adds a little emphasis to your alarm signal.. 3-A visible sign outside stating " premises monitored by video cameras" might help even though it's only a ruse...

What the hell....options 2 and three are easy and cheap

Reply to
tourman

These sound like good suggestions - thanks for the tips!

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Using the name Curmudgeon you may actually like this suggestion.

Include the casing of the generator in the AC output of the generator with a cut off switch in the garage.

You may have a little mess to clean up in the morning but ashes are easy to dispose of.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks, Jim. I like your way of thinking...

Reply to
Curmudgeon

It won't work. The chassis is supposed to be grounded. Even if you don't ground it, the case is still at a neutral potential and a hot wire to it would be a dead-short.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks for the suggestion - I have decided to take a simpler route. I have ordered a 15-foot LockAlarm

formatting link
I can loop this around the generator, through my ground anchor, and into my adjacent kitchen through the window. If the alarm sounds I will surely hear it. The generator will only be used if I am at home, so it will never sit unattended in the driveway. This is not perfect, but I think it's close enough since I'm close to the road in a densely populated community. My setup should provide enough deterrence to send the bad guys someplace easier. I hope...

Thanks Dave (the Curmudgeon)

But I did like the concept of making the generator chassis hot, thiough.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Obviously the original post was a half joke, but for those who might not understand that booby traps which are intended to cause harm are illegal atleast in the US. You would certainly get charged with a crime if somebody was injured. Yes, even a low life scum bag thief. You would also be open to civil liability.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ironic how a generator thief could end up owning the whole house

*legally*, if a booby trap was used.
Reply to
G. Morgan

Actually .....it wasn't a half joke, it was a "whole" joke.

That's kinda like comparing someone with vast intelligence to someone with half-vast intelligence.

Reply to
Jim

Wouldn't the power going out be a dead giveaway if someone stole the generator? Could you get an alarm that would sound if the power went out while you were asleep?

Reply to
Nicko

what fun is that? That sounds way too simple, this should be a major time consuming and expensive project! ;-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

You worded it better than I could have.

Heh.

Reply to
Nicko

-------------------------------------

CCTV surveillance can provide visible and effective deterrent against all types of crimes including burglary. Security camera systems are now available at prices that meet varying needs and budgets.

formatting link

Reply to
Tutto Allarmi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.