System recommendations

Hi

I would like to have an alarm installed in a home that currently has no system. The house is a two level and I really don't want to deal with a wireless system. What are the better home systems out there? I plan on having it installed.

Thanks.

Reply to
Marspinball
Loading thread data ...

Pick your installer first. If you do that right, your question is moot.

Reply to
G. Morgan

AT&T 8300

Reply to
mleuck

Reply to
OnlineAlarmQuotes

I predict your venture will fold within a year and you'll be doing something else

Reply to
mleuck

Don't laugh...I still download 3-4 of those each month. Mostly because of lithium cells & backup batteries dying.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Not laughing we got a ton of them, even more 8000's, they don't ever die and people don't want to get rid of them

Reply to
mleuck

Then prepare for a longer more expensive installation. And find a reputable local alarm company with installers that KNOW how to post wire a house.

Reply to
Crash

Do you really get less for a wireless installation?

Whatever I would get to do the place wired, I get the same price for wireless .... in fact a little more because I add in the wireless receiver and ... should they want them .... keyfobs.

Reply to
Jim

That's what folks who prefer to install wireless often say, but IME it's pretty much a wash. What they spend on parts the others spend on labor.

We rarely did wireless installations only because I always preferred wired systems. Even so, I often sold wireless add-ons such as keyfobs.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In my area, many people request wireless .... simply because it's a cleaner ( no drilling or molding removal) installation. I think also because the "lick and sticks" have made it more popular .... too.

Reply to
Jim

That's often the perception though not always the reality. I remember a job we did in Farmington, VT, many years ago. My best guy, Lenny, was on it along with my oldest son. The home was large and expensive, located across the street from Mike Tyson's house.

The second day in the lady called and asked me to have my technician speak to her about where the wires would be run before he did the living room windows. The two-story house was old, with plaster over wood lath in the walls and over that miserable "expanded metal" in the ceilings. The basement ceiling was finished beneath the living room.

I called Lenny that evening to ask him to speak with the client before wiring the living room. He said, "They're done." He had wired behind the recessed radiators, down to the ceiling below. There he had removed several ceiling can lights to gain access and fished all the wires across. There wasn't so much as a smudge in the living room and no sign that he'd done anything to the basement ceiling. :^)

I think that's the main reason. Other than taking bids from those guys, most customers still don't seem to have any preferences. That even shows up with my DIY clients. Most order hard-wired systems. I haven't tallied it up but if I had to guess I'd estimate 1 in 4 go with wireless.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Typo: Make that "Farmington, CT."

Reply to
Robert L Bass

A large house with tile floors, a flat roof and no basement...yah wireless would probably work out cheaper and faster.

Reply to
Crash

In that situation yes, it would. I did most of my work in CT where almost every place had a basement. Attics were usually accessible and most homes were of wood frame construction. We would hard wire just about anything and we never left visible wires in a living space. That even applied to some homes on the national historical register. We ripped out and replaced a Sonitrash job at the Shallus residence in North Canton. It was Shallus' brother, Jacob, who penned the US Constitution.

Now I live in Florida where no one has a basement, floors are tile over a cement slab, walls are either cement block or poured concrete and frequently, steel beams are found above doors and windows. If I were installing here I'd definitely be selling wireless.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I installed for several weeks in Miami and know those houses well, if someone can't hardwire those they shouldn't be in the business

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.