Sucks to be me

Just getting ready to have our 25th wedding aniversary and we got news thursday I have colorectal cancer and there afraid it has metastisied to liver. Will begin treatment next week i spent whole week in hospital for tests etc. lost 20 pounds and blood went very low they had to give me a quart, and plan on beating this no matter what the docs say. Word of warning im only 47 do not wait for 50 if you have a family history of it to get a colonoscopy there now checking my 2 younger brothers. In my case we would have caught it sooner had it not been masked by other symptoms. How ever im in very good shape and plan to attack this and do not plan on going any where soon. Besides what fun would it be if i was not around to harrass Robert :) who is also doing battle with the big C.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.
Loading thread data ...

Hey...you can beat it. Believe half of what they tell you and do lots of reading on your own.

I'm still here and they told me back in 1974/5 that I'd be lucky if I made it another year. What they thought it was I somehow fixed on my own.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

What exactly did you have?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Third stage non-hodgkins lymphoma...there's only 4 stages... the 5th is underground.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hang in there...only the good die young. And you my friend will probably outlive us all.

When people ask me if I expect to go to heaven or hell I reply: Heaven can't possibly handle me, and the devil can't stand competition...

Jim Rojas

Nick Markowitz Jr. wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Uh does that mean he's evil?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'm very sorry to hear this. I'll be praying for you.

The Wellness Community offers free seminars, support groups (especially helpful to your wife/kids/etc.), and stuff. There's probably a local WC office in your city. They're very helpful and everything they do is mostly free.

Do NOT blindly accept your doctor's referal to the nearest oncologist. Check your options. MD Anderson, Sloan-Kettering and Moffitt are among the top cancer treatment centers in the country. All have facilities for self-referal. Insurance companies do NOT require that you take your treatment at the specific place your doctor suggests. Get the absolute best you can.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sorry to hear that sad news, but it sounds like your spirit is up for the fight. Tony Snow seems to have a similar situation medically and is fighting it to a standstill. There has been lots of progress in treatment of these kinds of cancer recently. Who knows, maybe even a call to old Tony himself would get you an additional resource to check on. Quoting news about Snow: "It is common for colon cancer patients to suffer a recurrence of cancer, particularly in the liver. Medical experts say advances in chemotherapy can allow people with the type of cancer Snow has to return to work and good health for years." Good luck with you treatments. I hope you 50th wedding anniversary is even better than your 25th.

Reply to
Just Looking

Nick,

My wife and I were talking about you this morning. She said to let you know she's also praying for you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Nick Markowitz Jr." wrote in news:ZvAki.11969$g44.2139@trnddc02:

You can beat this. My brother-in-law had colon cancer a couple of years ago and he has beat it. The docs tell him that he is cancer free. He still gets winded easily but he is still with us.

You will be too.

My prayers are with you.

TL

Reply to
Tommy

Nick:

I've remained quiet on this one for a couple of days now. I've been trying to compose a response that doesn't appear "trite" or sound like all the things you hear when you tell people of your particular challenge.

This is a challenge. Life is full of them. You've learned to deal with each one (or adapt) as you continue your journey through life. Only God knows how long that life is going to be. From everything I've seen you post here, He has indeed blessed you with the knowledge and the skills to deal with each challenge. Don't lose heart. My family's thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless you. God Keep you. Let us know how things go.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Nutritional supplements aren't the best way to go. My Doctor advocates a well balanced diet that includes lots of green leafy veggies, (broccoli's high on the list), and fruit. Overdosing on supplements may only serve to tax your liver which, at this stage, may not be the best thing for it. Both my parents died of the "big C", and with that thought in mind I'm getting checkups every six months (in addition to my Pilot's medical).

All the best to you, Nick.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Whatever you do, don't take vitamin supplements unless they've been prescribed by your Doctor. Most of commercially available brands are pure garbage. Rather, spend your money on "all natural" veggies and fruit. I personally love our "Mediterranean Style" diet. Avoid the California Reds, though... Too many Nitrites... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Also check Iron...I think you need to stay away from Iron if probs with the liver - can't remember exactly but you should check.

| >

| > Nutritional supplements aren't the best way to go. My Doctor advocates a | > well balanced diet that includes lots of green leafy veggies, (broccoli's | > high on the list), and fruit. Overdosing on supplements may only serve to | > tax your liver which, at this stage, may not be the best thing for it. | > Both my parents died of the "big C", and with that thought in mind I'm | > getting checkups every six months (in addition to my Pilot's medical). | >

| > All the best to you, Nick. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Been there and it's no fun at all. I have an excellent book on nutritional treatment (to be used *with* medical treatment; not instead of it) that you should read. The book is called "Beating Cancer With Nutrition" by Patrick Quillin. If you would like to read it reply with an address and I'll send it to you. When you're done you can pass it along to someone else.

We're praying for you, along with a lot of others here. I also took the liberty of asking a family member to place your name on a "prayer chain" so that there will be someone somewhere praying for you 24 hours a day. I hope you don't mind.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Well...good luck dood...my thoughts are with ya. It won't be easy.

| >

| >

| >

| >

| > | >

| > | > Nutritional supplements aren't the best way to go. My Doctor | > advocates | > a | > | > well balanced diet that includes lots of green leafy veggies, | > (broccoli's | > | > high on the list), and fruit. Overdosing on supplements may only | > serve | > to | > | > tax your liver which, at this stage, may not be the best thing for it. | > | > Both my parents died of the "big C", and with that thought in mind I'm | > | > getting checkups every six months (in addition to my Pilot's medical). | > | >

| > | > All the best to you, Nick. | > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.