StarLink2 Radio

Hey all,

Anyone have any input on the Napco StarLink2 Radio??

Advertising says it works with any panel. Says it is GSM and cost is less than $100 and low monthly fees.

Just wondering what pro's and con's there might be.

Thanks in advance.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Couple dealers here use Napco and like it said its similar to uplink type service

Reply to
nick mark59

I'm not absolutely positive about this but .... I think this is a NearNet p= roduct designed for Napco. I've had good success with their regular Radios = because there's a good tower network in my area and I want redundancy repor= ting and most of the other radio mfg's only provide this capability if you = use their panels. I've never used NearNet's full reporting radios which I t= hink the "Star" line is a modified version for Napco.=20

I'll see if I can find out more about it but it won't be for awhile. Pretty= busy now.

Reply to
Jim

It works "like" Uplink, but it can also do upload/download on Napco panels, and they have a cell phone ap under development that will allow for remote arm disarm and status for any panel that has key switch capability and an output that can be programmed for status. This is direct from some of the management at Napco. Uplink also appears to be developing a cell phone ap based on certain things that now show up on their dealer interface, but they are being closed mouthed about it when I asked.

I have been using Uplink (and Telguard, and even old analog cells units) for years. Their guaranteed network compatibility that they just released (when

2G is phased out) is a plus, but whichever one comes out with a clean cell phone ap that works first will be the one that gets my next order of cellular communicators. I am leaning towards Napco for long term since I install a lot of Napco panels and have a lot in the field though.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks for the input Bob, Jim, & Nick.

I have never been a fan of the Napco product line. Somewhat due to the DL Software and the funky keypad configuration. I saw this StarLink 2 thing and was wondering how wonderful it may be....................... or not. With all the stuff on the market and new stuff happening it is hard to stay ahead of the game.

Again thanks for the input.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I never liked the keypad config for the more advanced panels, but the

800/801 is a snap. Easier and faster than FBII, Ademco, or DSC for small panels IMO. I actually liked the old DOS based software for Napco best because everything was laid out in spreadsheet like arrangement giving me easy total control of everything. The newer Windows software does some cool things, but I personally find a few things to be a bit clunky and it leads you to using standard zone definitions instead of taking the time to customize each zone. The Windows version is easier for a lazy programmer. It's a clean organized menu system though. Many people like it better. If you haven't tried it you should take a look. I almost never program an advanced configurable panel by hand, and I almost never used software to program a basic panel.

Its decent and the dealer interface is good. If you like Napco it's the way to go. If not then it doesn't really matter. Pick what you like.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

TelGuard has an interactive service which works with Napco, DSC, Honeywell, GE and Bosch. Available for the TG-11, TG-1 3G and TG-4 3G, fairly simple app if that's what you are looking for.

Reply to
mleuck

Thanks Mark. I'll look at it, but Telguard has left me walking away feeling used once or twice. I like the flat rate service from Napco or Uplink too, although Telguard does have the only sole path rated cellular that I am aware of for fire. I do have several of their units in service. I do appreciate the tip. If I have a "right now" client that this service is a deal breaker (usually not) then I know where to go.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Still busy but briefly, I can pretty well confirm that Napcos "Star2 radio"= is a Nearnet designed device. It has some short comings and (I think) uniq= ue features, but generally it seem to fall in par with the other radios I'v= e seen or heard about. I don't use them that much so I can't really comment= on "all" radios. It seems as if you can change sim chips between two diffe= rent providers in the event you can't get a good signal with one. Also has = a "takeover" capability where you program it to send your data in the event= you are taking over another companys panel and don't have access to their = panel programing. =20

I don't know if that's a good thing ..... or not. Depends on which end of t= he stick you're holding .... I guess.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.