Looking for GSM prepaid provider [telecom]

I have a cheap Tracfone. It works pretty well, but before I reload it with another $100 (which will last for most of a year), I'm wondering what my options are.

I'm willing to buy an unlocked GSM Android phone like a Nexus 4 if I can find a carrier that will do prepaid or month to month on it. T-Mobile claims they have coverage here, but they are wrong (I know where the towers are) so that means the carrier has to be AT&T or an AT&T MVNO.

I don't expect to have a whole lot of usage since I'm mostly at home where the wifi is cheap and plentiful, but it's nice to have something that will work when I'm out shopping or on trips.

Any suggestions? I suppose if there is some sort of hybrid phone that will work on Verizon CDMA and foreign GSM, or there's unlocked Verizon LTE phones with a SIM, that might be possible, but I haven't seen the former at a plausible price or the latter at all.

Reply to
John Levine
Loading thread data ...

I just got an IPhone 3 from Consumer Cellular for $175. It's a refurb, probably from AT&T. The only thing it won't do is act as a hotspot for a computer. I have a Verizon 4 LTE modem for this purpose. Consumer Cellular has monthly billing, but no contract and you can change plans month to month. I do data mostly on WiFi. Mark L. Smith snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

formatting link

Reply to
Mark Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.