Sanity test on pricing please

yea, thats a good price. you dont want wireless if you can get wired. take an old pros word for it.

Reply to
Don
Loading thread data ...

Why a new configuration... I'm moving. New house, much smaller, less of everything....

Why GE instread of Ademco... I may not be doing it and that is what the Alarm company proposed.

Home inspections are...uhm... spotty would be a good word. I can go a week with nothing, and then do 3 big jobs a day for a week and have a FANTASTIC week... weather, interest rates, season, political climate all affect both realestate and thus Home Inspectors.

Yes, I make a fair living, but I work for it... We all know about hot attics in the summer, and damp wet crawls in the winter and the clients who are spending 850,000 on a house and don't want to spend $500 to see what secrets it has... Don't forget about the houses that are so filthy that you chnage into a tyvec suit before doing the inspection (Yes, I've done inspection in a suit, with a resperator and gloves on...)

I could build the system, All wireless, with an Ademco panel and the 64 zone reciever and be done...Probably take me a weekend and a few knuckles, but I don't want to. That would be my "low point" at which point I can't do it cheaper. Could someone do it for that price...probably not.. and I would worry if someone tried to...

However, if someone listed all of the items at prices CLOSE to what I pay and then wanted to charge for installation and keep any discount that they got, that would work. What I DON'T like is getting charged $150 for something I pay $50 for at full price, and then charge me instalation on top of that. Yes they stock it, they have spares, and all that, so charge me $60. I would even go for $150 INSTALLED, but not both.

All I get paid for is my time... and I get a good rate...and I do good work. If someone wants to charge me a similar rate per hour, I expect similar quality work. Oh and If I am paying by the hour, the cell phone stays in the truck... don't be making sales call on my time. Thats where mine stays when I am on the clock. Pay by the job, I might have my phone where I can hear it...

Sorry for the rant....

Reply to
Bob Sisson

I thought you were losing your marbles for a minute. If you end up wanting to go the DIY route again drop me an email. The price you were quoted is accurate for an install IF they are giving you a parts and labor warranty.

Bob Siss> Why a new configuration... I'm moving. New house, much smaller, less of

Reply to
Everywhere Man

We installed our first Advent earlier this year after having a GE Rep come to do almost a full day of training for most of our techs. A few days after the installation, we received a letter from GE saying the Advent was being discontinued.

Reply to
JW

I can understand why when they have the Caddx NX-8E that can pretty much do the same job.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.