Rogers dropping usenet

Rogers has certainly struck a nerve locally with this one ! Other newsgroups are full of angry people looking for other alternatives to get their newsgroups back ! I suspect it's another example of the "bean counters" controlling things (obviously it's not generated through their Marketing department unless they are all idiots !!) I wouldn't be surprised if the bad press causes them to rethink their short sighted decision in this matter.

Personally, I'm not waiting ! Within the next couple of days, I'm converting to high speed DSL which actually saves me a ton of money since I already have a dial up service from Sympatico in addition to the Rogers cable service. And I intend to tell them in no uncertain terms why I'm switching when I call them later the same day....

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell
Loading thread data ...

even if I really dislike anything from bell,I would do the same thing..

if that doesn't ring them a "bell" ;-) nothing will

"R.H.Campbell" a écrit dans le message de news: ys2dnZZcm8ZVpQ_enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

Reply to
petem

Hi mikey,

Sorry to hear about the issue with Rogers. Not sure what prompted them to drop the newsgroups, but in most cases it has to do with the tremendous amount of traffic that Usenet draws, rather than a lack of activity as they've noted.

We've been providing Usenet services since 1992, and we've seen a continued growth in the community... posts, users, etc... with each passing year.

Not sure if a paid alternative would be of interest to you, but NewsGuy.Com is currently offering a special to displaced Usenet users at Rogers.

If you purchase any of our Usenet newsgroup accounts, we'll add 1-month of free service to that account...

formatting link

Our members can connect to the newsgroups with their favorite NNTP newsreader (Agent, Xnews, OE, etc.) or they can use our Web-News interface. The interface includes a Thumbnail Viewer, BatchDownload manager, and enables members to download the smaller/decoded version of newsgroup files.

We offer account types with different download capacities (3GB, 15GB, 30GB), and account fees that are as low as $3.95/month. We also offer a free 2-day trial that allows visitors to check out the service without any cost or obligation. If you have questions about any of the above, feel free to email ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com) or phone us toll-free (1-866-4USENET).

Best regards, snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com NewsGuy.Com

Reply to
Bob

Look at his headers:

NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.122.39.242

That resolves to a whois result of:

OrgName: Verizon Internet Services OrgID: VRIS Address: 1880 Campus Commons Dr City: Reston StateProv: VA PostalCode: 20191 Country: US

NetRange: 71.96.0.0 - 71.127.255.255 CIDR: 71.96.0.0/11 NetName: VIS-71-96 NetHandle: NET-71-96-0-0-1 Parent: NET-71-0-0-0-0 NetType: Direct Allocation NameServer: NS1.BELLATLANTIC.NET NameServer: NS2.BELLATLANTIC.NET NameServer: NS2.VERIZON.NET NameServer: NS4.VERIZON.NET Comment: RegDate: 2005-01-18 Updated: 2005-08-15

OrgAbuseHandle: VISAB-ARIN OrgAbuseName: VIS Abuse OrgAbusePhone: +1-214-513-6711 OrgAbuseEmail: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

OrgTechHandle: ZV20-ARIN OrgTechName: Verizon Internet Services OrgTechPhone: +1-703-295-4583 OrgTechEmail: snipped-for-privacy@gnilink.net

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2005-12-05 19:10 # Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

So his ISP is Verizon and his Usenet client is the HHTP interface at Google Groups.

Regards,

X.

Reply to
X. Boschman

It does, but even better than that, it keeps assholes like YOU from making bogus complaints to my ISP.

As usual..... FUCK YOU.

-G

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yeah, athena.net. The ones you were paying for NNTP access. Don't play dumb. The ones whose TOS you violated by posting a password to a private site.

More than likely Comcast TOS'ed your arrogant fat-ass too.

-G

Reply to
G. Morgan

No, I mean Verizon. Your ignorance is showing... again.

Reply to
robertlbass

Care to show us a post from me that came through Athenanet, Cracker?

Reply to
robertlbass

that you already had is not what I call ok...

You're not paying for them to maintain NNTP servers. You're paying for access to the Internet.

expense of the electricity to pump the fuel..

You think electricity is free? Quit whining.

Reply to
robertlbass

Strictly speaking, you are correct. However, when a popular service is provided all along by an ISP and then they decide to carte blanche drop it from their service offering, it should be obvious to any thinking person at Rogers that it's going to cause quite a lot of ill will within their customer base. Even a first year marketing student would never be so stupid as to suggest taking away from a service that which customers have been used to having all along, and which they have come to consider as a valuable part of their service.

It sounds like the bean counters at Rogers have been busy....hmmm, how much will we save on network usage versus how many customer are actually going to leave us if we pull this stunt ?

All I can say is it annoyed me enough to pull the plug. DSL works every bit as well and my net savings each month is about $20. All consumers can ever do is vote with their pocketbooks !

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

that you already had is not what I call ok...

expense of the electricity to pump the fuel..

Reply to
davidl

I imagine the reason Rogers is dropping it is because it's mostly used for high-bandwith traffic such as p*rn or pirated files and costs Rogers more than it's worth

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Speaking of ignorant.... Must be 16

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Finally the post showed up here..

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

So we dont pay for email server either? yet i wonder what type of Isp would just provide internet access with out email.. And what is an ISP...Internet Service Provider..from what i can understand..in the Internet Nntp server are a service..so from now on Rogers is an IISP wich is Incomplete Internet Service Provider..

No its not free but we already pay for it in the price of gas at the pump in the case I talked about..Now if they decide to ask cash on top of it..with out lowering first there price,then I would call that stealing...

Just one thing,if that's the only thing you found out to make me climb on the wall..better work on your show man..didn't worked much..

I wonder why it took so long for your message to come this way...Ha! I remember..now that your ISP dumped you cause you posted Password And login info to a web site,your using the only Nntp service that was ok with the lame stuff you post....And that's not a pretty good serviced as I can see...

Would it be that the answer to our prayer finally came about ,and it was an ISP that made our life better?

P.s still got pop up on your web site...too bad your too dumb to remove them.. P.P.s what costumer would deal with someone like you after you proved to the world that you cant even keep a small secret like the password and login info of a web site containing sensitive info on alarm system,even software that could help defeat the very same alarm panel you sell...

Reply to
petem

I got a chuckle out of it ;-))

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.