Rogers dropping usenet

Yuck. I'm trying the google groups and it seems a step backwards. I was using the Microsoft newsreader and it was straight-forward and quick whatthefuck? are there any other alternatives out there similar to what I'm used to?

Reply to
mikey
Loading thread data ...

oh, I found the tree option, that's better, but it still seems slow.

Reply to
mikey

yah don't use the html viewer...newsreader is the way to go..quick and easy.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

rogers is dropping it here on the 15th... I have to find an alternative and yes, html sucks for this kind of thing

Reply to
mikey

Yeah, that's the final straw ! I had planned to switch to high speed Sympatico but hadn't made the move yet. If the newsgroup is not going to be available through Rogers, I'm going to get rid of the high speed cable connection and go DSL.

Rogers pulls some pretty stupid moves sometimes. Their marketing guys ought to go back to school - you don't ever drop something that a customer has had all along without reducing the rate....jessus.....

I hope they lose a bucket load of business over this....

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I opted out of cable Internet because the service isn't as good for VoIP. Unfortunately, I selected Verizon DSL. They're a royal pain to deal with. As soon as it's convenient I plan to switch to another provider. It took over two weeks to get set up and still another week to get problems straightened out.

The DSL service itself is OK as long as you select a high enough speed. I get fairly consistent download speeds of ~2.8mB and about 700kB upload, which is plenty for the VoIP system. I'm told it will be enough to handle my network, several on premises VoIP stations and an Asterisk box which we'll probably add next year.

BTW, speaking of VoIP, I've been testing Polycom's SoundPoint IP 501 phones and they're really terrific. We can transfer calls between stations on and off premises, even across international borders as easily as between stations in my home / office.

Notwithstanding opposition from the alarm industry, I expect that VoIP will pretty much obsolesce POTS lines in the next five to ten years. Much as you may not like it, this is what's coming for telephone service. Those who adapt to the new technology will fare much better than those who insist on staying with the old methods.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Paid...

News.Individual.NET

formatting link
Click&Buy
formatting link

Reply to
Bill

I think they're scoundrels. Remember Cableguard back in the 70s? They didn't bother telling people they were using diallers like everybody else because their shit didn't work.

Reply to
mikey

Yep, this what what Rogers told us: Go out and pay for it. I hate the cable company and have a lot of respect for the telephone company. And look what's happenned, phone company's losing ground to sleezebags. They're also making a bundle with that advertising on the so-called TV guide channel.

Reply to
mikey

"Mr. Roger's Neighbourhood" is about to lose a few more people. I wonder what they'll do when "Mr. Mailman" decides to leave too and all they'll have is highspeed internet.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Of all the nerve! Imagine those people expecting you to pay for services. Harrumph!! :^)

Reply to
robertlbass

Subject: Rogers dropping usenet Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => mikey Yuck. I'm trying the google groups and it seems a step backwards.

news.aioe.org

Free and anonymous. You can post 25 messages per day/IP.

It's probably not as fast as the Rogers server (it's in Italy), but it's free.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Subject: Re: Rogers dropping usenet Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net > Yep, this what what Rogers told us: Go out and pay for it.

I see Athenanetnews dumped your ass. You shouldn't be posting passwords to private sites. I'm surprised Comcast let you stay on.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I am using "Spam Blocker". It is catching 99% of my spam, about 100 each day. Puts the rejects in a separate folder for easy review and allows for adding or removing an address at will. Your blocks are also sent back to Spam Blocker to be included in the revised database. They have a 30 day free trial. They were ranked #1 by consumer report. Allan

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

formatting link
It's only for Outlook but integrates superbly

Reply to
mikey

Athenanetnews?

As for Comcast, I'll actually be dumping them shortly. It probably escaped your attention (most things do) that I have been posting via Verizon for a while.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

That should fit your budget.

Reply to
robertlbass

Who asked you? At least he answered my question. Thanks, Graham, I'll check it out. (Never mind this meddling asshole).

Reply to
mikey

You mean "Google" don't you??

Reply to
Frank Olson

when you already pay for an internet service,being asked to pay for a service that you already had is not what I call ok...

its like if you are asked for money when you use a fuel pomp to pay the expense of the electricity to pump the fuel..

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.