Replacement Battery Purchase

If I purchase a replacement battery today for a LynxR-EN Panel, can I expect it to work two years from now when it will actually be replaced? Or should you wait until you get a low battery warning from your panel and then purchase a replacement battery?

Reply to
Jack
Loading thread data ...

Wait for the warning. Batteries should not be left on the shelf for extended periods.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

How old is the system (i.e. when was it installed)? Sealed lead acid batteries typically last about four years. I'd recommend replacing your battery every three years if your system is also powering (or monitoring) smoke detectors or other life safety devices like Carbon Monoxide sensors or heat detectors. Don't wait for the "low battery" warning because I've seen some panels actually fail a battery test even before the warning kicks in.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I just purchased a new LynxR-EN panel to replace my LynxR panel. The battery inside the new panel is new.

Reply to
Jack

why'd you buy another panel?

Reply to
Slim

Slim, my other panel has recently not been charging the backup battery properly. I've had three replacement batteries in the past two years. I also like the connection from the battery to the circuit board with the LynxR-EN vs the battery drawer, which is used with the LynxR.

I've had the LynxR panel since 2000 and it's probably time for a refresh.

Reply to
Jack

I hope your master unit is installed in a safe (i.e. more inaccessible) location. We just had to replace a Lynx panel (installed by ADT) that was ripped off the wall in the kitchen by what looks to be three very enterprising hoodlums (the Police figure two guys and a gal where involved). They also stole the customer's widescreen TV, a whole lot of "pocket sized" electronic gear and enough make-up to last most women a life-time (she only went for the expensive stuff so they know there was a gal involved). The new panel is a Vista 128 with remote keypad. The new common control is in a very tough spot to get to (in the 20 second entry delay). There's also cellular backup to the land lines and a very loud outdoor siren. It's still kinda like closing the barn door after the horse, the chickens and the four cows got out.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.