remote interference in a wireless security system

friends,

we purchased a new DIY wireless home security system - and saw this scary problem.... please do tell me if this is there with other leading products too...

once the remotes/key fobs are programeed... and the system is armed... if i take an another unprogrammed remote/key fob... and then keep it pressed continously... in effect jamming the signal frequency...the base station doesnt catch the radio signals emitted by the P I R and door s ens ors... in effect i can walk in to the system.. without getting an alarm...

is this the problem with some type of manufacturers or happens with all products - for the products which handle this properly - how do they do it... which could be some place where i can get such products...

thanks SNH

Reply to
simpleNhumble
Loading thread data ...

I suppose it's possible to "jam" a frequency, but I doubt it would affect a wireless system that uses burst transmission devices. Holding the keyfob down on my ELK system doesn't result in a "jam". Who manufactured your system and what's the model number?

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Roland Moore

Dear Roland and Frank,

thanks for your valuable comments - for propriety sake i dont want to mention brand name on this forum - but your valuable point is taken.

For my understanding could you throw some light on burst transmission devices and serial number based systems and how they deal with and report RF jam

thanks SNH

Roland Moore wrote:

Reply to
simpleNhumble

Reply to
Roland

Dear Roland,

thanks once again for your precious time... i got the burst principle.... is there any other approach to this...other than burst .=2E the only other one i can think of is a base station which sends alarm if the frequency channel is bocked continously for more than say

5 mins...

even rolling codes may not work... if the channel itself is blocked... such that PIR radio signals donts reach the base station... what say you?

bye SNH

Roland wrote:

Reply to
simpleNhumble

I am certainly no expert in RF signal propagation. My bias is not to use any RF devices in an alarm system when possible. Here is what you might be talking about. Here is how a different manufacturer deals with issues effecting RF alarm signals and how it alerts the end user and/or installer. Receiver Troubles Note: Also displayed with the receiver trouble code is the receiver number ("NN"). RF REC JAMMED - E16-NN. Transmitter interference from nearby radio-frequency source.

thanks once again for your precious time... i got the burst principle.... is there any other approach to this...other than burst .. the only other one i can think of is a base station which sends alarm if the frequency channel is bocked continously for more than say

5 mins...

even rolling codes may not work... if the channel itself is blocked... such that PIR radio signals donts reach the base station... what say you?

bye SNH

Roland wrote:

Reply to
Roland

Same here but for different reasons. I don't like to make the system unnecessarily complex (more hardware means more stuff to possibly fail). If it can be done by running a wire, that is almost always the better choice.

There are a few wireless "experts" (English translation: "people who don't know how to run wire") who claim that wireless is as good as or better than hard wired, but they're just trying to justify their existence. :^)

When wireless is the only practical solution, by all means use it. Most modern supervised wireless systems can detect and respond to signal jamming attempts.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Who made the system?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Ya know someone had to say it :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

DAMN!

Ya beat me to it! :-)

Oh well, back to vacationing.

Just in case ...... Merry Christmas.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Must be some joke I don't get. Can anyone explain?

Reply to
Roland

Paulie the Parrot and his second cousin the paranoid NSA nutjob.

| > > Mark Leuck wrote: | > >> Who made the system? | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Unless you know about people who wear tin foil hats with old television rabbit ears, rely on old dial up radios for testing, have crazy caffeine habits and base the whole industry on a cheap old wireless system that God only knows what was done to it, you would have had to have been there.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Paul was a nut that trolled here for years raving about radio frequency interference and how some wireless headphones caused his alarm system to false.

Roland wrote:

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Some nutcase who used to troll here (very successfully) going on about a fictitious wireless system.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

To Cheech, Yeah I remember now, I think I sold that system to the dude. Later, Tommy

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.