protection

What type of lighting protection would you use on a 600 ft 25 pr under ground cable from school to a stadium?

Reply to
Rich
Loading thread data ...

Earl. He's cheap. And the beer cans make excellent lightning rods. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

If you follow NEC a protector is needed on both ends Ditek makes several excellent protecters for 25 pair wire as well as Panamax.

Reply to
nick markowitz

A protector is not protection. A protector connects that wire to protection. Protection is earth ground. A protector that does not shunt a surge into earth is often promoted on word association: "surge protector = surge protection". Sounding alike does not mean they are same.

An industry professional demonstrates the concept in an application note. Two structures. Each has its own single point earth ground. Any wire that interconnects both structures must be earthed where it enters each structure. If any of those 25 pair wires cannot be earthed directly, then install a surge protector from each wire to earth ground.

This is how your telco - connected to overhead wires everywhere in town - keeps their $multi-million computer working even during thunderstorms. Every wire that enters the building is connected to earth as short as possible. That protector is distant (up to 50 meters) from protected electronics. That separation inside the building means additional protection.

Most critical is that the earthing be single point. Every incoming wire must earth to the same earth ground. Each structure must have its own single point earthing. See the application note TN CR 002 The Need for Coordinated Protection at:

formatting link

Reply to
w_tom

Very true. If every incoming service on the structure is connected to a single point ground there is a significant reduction in damage from lightning. This is particularly important for sensitive electronics such as security and home automation systems.

Unfortunately, even when the installer correctly earth grounds the alarm, his system may still be unprotected if other tradesmen don't follow code. In many areas the worst offender is the CATV company. They were notorious in New England and they still are in Florida for failing to ground at all, grounding improperly to metal siding, piggy backing onto the electric panel ground, etc.

I routinely discuss bonded grounds with DIYers, especially on new construction. Just as with propfessionally installed systems, other tradesmen are often at fault. Most electricians get it right but plumbers, CATV and even some telco installers screw up. I also noticed when I first brought the subject up in this newsgroup some years ago that some alarm techs are unaware of the importance of a bonded (aka single point) ground.

On a related subject, it bears repeating that the panel ground needs to be as short as possible. Bends in the ground cable should be radiused -- no hard 90 degree turns. The best connection point it a ground rod sunk into the earth. Never ground an alarm panel using an electrical outlet ground. There are a few plug-in transformer which include a ground terminal. Do NOT use that terminal. It will not provide proper protection for the alarm system's electronics.

Mike Holt has useful information on grounding, bonding, etc., on his website at mikeholt.com. Note that most of his information concerns safety grounding (keeping people alive) whereas the primary concern for alarm installation is protective grounding (keeping electronics alive). Nonetheless, it's a very helpful website.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

So you go to someone else's web sites to get your info Mr. BAss?

Try going to the BBB website to get your own poor business info.

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

I product information from the product manufacturers. I think that's better than simply making up "information" the way you do.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

People who would advance mankind would say, "Thank you for providing additional information. It was so useful." Those who just hate the world, instead, would attack only because useful hyperlinks were provided. Apparently Norm Mugford has so little basic electrical knowledge and so does not want to learn as to not even understand the value of those hyperlinks.

Reply to
w_tom

single point ground there is a significant reduction in

tronics such as security and home automation systems.

his system may still be unprotected if other tradesmen

They were notorious in New England and they still are in

g, piggy backing onto the electric panel ground, etc.

ction. Just as with propfessionally installed systems,

lumbers, CATV and even some telco installers screw up. I

ears ago that some alarm techs are unaware of the

e as short as possible. Bends in the ground cable should

round rod sunk into the earth. Never ground an alarm panel

hich include a ground terminal. Do NOT use that terminal.

ite at mikeholt.com. Note that most of his information

ern for alarm installation is protective grounding (keeping

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Reply to
I brive a dus

And most anyone reading this post would say: "What the hell are you talking about?"

Reply to
FIRETEK

Reply to
I brive a dus

Too many words of more than one syllable for you, Olson?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It was actually a pair of chopsticks and a fly.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

He tripped on a pebble, crushed a grasshopper, and blamed it all on Mike Holt?

Is Mike Holt really good? Does Norm Mugford have a problem with pebbles, grasshoppers, and other things irrelevant. I understand Master.

Reply to
w_tom

What the hell you talkin about? I think you have too many marbles on your keyboard?

BTW...Mike Holt is a very smart and well known guy. He also supports his industry.......

Norm Mugford

Robert L Bass wrote:

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

From your perspective, even Mike Sabodish would look smart.

It's unfortunate that you don't take a clue from Holt. Instead of supporting the industry you behave like a rude child in a public forum where anyone who realizes that you're on the ECLB is aghast.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No they're not. They're hoping he can do something to fill the loopholes you've exploited.

Reply to
IOW, you lie.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.