Power problem in CADDX RANGER 7600

Hi all, I have a CADDX RANGER 7600 alarm at home for more than 10 years without pro blems, but now the red led "Power" is blinking instead of fixed. According to documentation, it is low battery indication, so I've replaced but still the same. Then I measured the voltage that alarm is providing to the batter y and I found that it is providing only 13 volts to the battery (measured w ithout battery connected) instead typical 13.8 volts, and I guess that it c an be the cause of the problem. There is a variable resistor named "P1" whi ch could set the output power to battery, but I am not sure. Could anyone h elp?. Thank you a lot.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
marcegil68
Loading thread data ...

First, 13.8v is the correct voltage to float charge a gell cell. But reading an open circuit charging lead might not be the way to check it, as the regulators got kinda smart a decade and a half ago. I would look for the current going to the battery and read the voltage with the charger connected. The higher the voltage of the the battery, the less current should be flowing, with a max of 250 ma.

Re: the flashing LED issue, the low battery threshold that usually trips the sensors is about 11.5v. There might be something else causing the LED to flash, such as a blown fuse. Take a voltmeter reading across each fuse. Al should read zero volts (no IR drop across a dead short).

You might also read to "do something" to "reset" the flashing LED such as arm/disarm, press # or something else. CADDX like arming disarming to clear issues.

Hope that helps,

John Sowden American Sentry Systems, Inc.

Reply to
John R. Sowden

I doubled check voltage, it is 13.0 volts with and without battery connected, and less than 1 mA of current.

I agreed with you, 13v would be high enough to fired a warning message on the led, and maybe there are any other issue, but I checked fuses and they are ok, and also try to reset the flashing led as you proposed, but none had effect.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

Reply to
Marce Gil

Those old Ranger panels are a pain. Power cycle it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

roblems, but now the red led "Power" is blinking instead of fixed. Accordin g to documentation, it is low battery indication, so I've replaced but stil l the same. Then I measured the voltage that alarm is providing to the batt ery and I found that it is providing only 13 volts to the battery (measured without battery connected) instead typical 13.8 volts, and I guess that it can be the cause of the problem. There is a variable resistor named "P1" w hich could set the output power to battery, but I am not sure. Could anyone help?.

I've heard of this happening before. Unfortuntaely, this indicates a fatal problem. You *Might* need to get a new panel, however sometimes power-cycli ng sometimes.

Reply to
Jacob Grahn

Hi,

I would also add that Caddx likes a total power down and reboot, no a/c and no battery for about a minute. That seems to clear out a lot of issues.

Additionally, I would chance a change of the power supply itself. If it is the original power supply of the Ranger 7600, I would change it in a heartbeat. It is a low cost investment for your alarm system.

Reply to
E Dawson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.