Router on and off?

Its probably OK to do that, but most electronic failures occur at the point of powering up... during the initial power surge. I do the same with my AP when not using wireless. I wouldnt lose any sleep over it so I would turn it off.

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

No problems. You must have SBC/Ameritech/AT&T DSL. The reason they want you to leave the modem on for 10 days is that they test the performance and reliability of the line and modem during this period. If there's a problem, they slow down the speed (throttle) the connection speed until the error rate is reasonable. If you turn off the modem during this test period, there's a good chance that the software will decided that you have a flakey line and therefore unworthy of getting the full speed that you're paying for. This why SBC advertises a range of download speeds instead of a single speed. After 10 days, do whatever you want as they don't retest. Incidentally, the faint buzz from your unspecified DSL modem or unspecified router is coming from the switching power supply coil or transformer. This is a known problem with some models (I forgot which).

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

My DSL modem and router both had instructions to leave them on for at least a couple of weeks after initial set-up. After that period passed, I started turning off my DSL modem when I'm asleep (it makes a faint buzzing that annoys) or away from home. Can this cause any problems? Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Gee ... never heard of that before.

I always turn mine off when I'm not using it. I did this with my old Cisco

675 & 678 and my current Actiontec GT701.

During the summer, I not only turn it off, I unplug it both from the power supply and the phone jack to avoid damage from lightning.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Thanks, I do have SBC. I've got some old modem, from the look of it, but don't recall the model. If I didn't already have the D-Link, I'd buy a 2nd-hand wifi modem - I seem them around for $80 or so now. My current set-up works and if it ain't broke... Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

I love seeing guys who appear to know of what they speak. I'll keep you in mind:)

Reply to
avalanche

SBC didn't start using the messy red "10 day" sticker until about 2 years ago when they switched from Alcatel to Efficient modems. It's probably an Efficient 5100B which is not ancient, works quite nicely, but is somewhat crippled in diagnostics.

I would strongly suggest you *NOT* purchase an all in one box (DSL modem, router, and wireless). Each box wants to be located somewhere else. The DSL modem wants to live near the demarc (MPOE) to keep the interior wiring to a minimum. The router wants to live on the floor where all the CAT5 wires come together. The wireless wants to live up high on a bookshelf for better coverage. Seperate boxes also allow you some versatility in replacing parts and pieces, such as adding a VPN terminating router, latest wireless standards (802.11i), or switching from DSL to cable. Were it an all in one box, you would need to toss everything and start over. Also, seperate boxes are easier to troubleshoot by replacement when something goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Please don't do that. That usually results in email where I get to solve someones individual problems. To retain what's left of my sanity and support my decadent and lavish lifestyle, I treat personal email as consulting and charge for my guesswork. If you want it free, post your questions or problems on usenet, where everyone can learn from the exchange, and where others can catch my screwups and offer better solutions. If you want it via email, be prepared to pay my exhorbitant consulting rates.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
Rey Barry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.