Never had an alarm before but...

Sure it is. And I do from time to time, but exactly how does that obligate me? It doesn't. The attitude of some people that it does doesn't help. In fact it causes lots of people to simply do as you say and go away. People with good information that woulfd probably have been glad to help out.

Whooosh! (landing gear up)

LOL. Perhaps.

Not exactly, but ok.

Please give us some great examples. There is some good wireless out there, but I'm not sure how up you are on the subject. Please (note: I am asking not telling you that you owe it to me) give us examples of these products. P.S. When I was a teenager I was trouble shooting digital carrier systems cross country so that statement has little affect on my perceptions of your arguements.

(is this an imperical they or an editorial they?)

Actually its guys like us who are doing that, and those of us who have survived have learned that it doesn't work as well as you might think. Even ADT and Brinks have learned better (Those big players you refer to.) To go further you under estimate the intelligence of the consumer. Free ain't free and it never has been.

Funny, when I worked for the phone company we had a lot more people upset that we wouldn't trouble shoot "their" wiring than anything else. Nothing more fun than listening to an old lady explain the problem couldn't possibly be because her dogs were chewing up the wires under her mobile home when you can see the chewed up ends hanging out from under the half missing skirting. Change doesn't make all things better or worse. All you can be sure of with change is change.

We don't have the corner now. Never have.

You can already buy stuff at Home Depot and other big box chains. Radio Shack even sold some commerical grade stuff for a while.

You might as well throw computer hardware and networking in the mix. Every component you need is available off the shelf, yet the majority (all the big ones with lots of money) of businesses still hire somebody to set it up for them. And the big players put somebody on full time that just does that.

Getting back to my point. I may choose to offer my assistance from time to time, but I don't owe it to you or anybody else. Usenet NEVER said that a person must offer free advice if they don't want to. Sorry pal. We have not socialized to that point yet in the US, but hey... give it a few years. It might happen.

Your arguement reminds me of those people who say, "You should do it this way," when what they mean is, "I'ld like you to do it my way to my personal advantage." Or better yet, "You'ld get more customers if you gave it away free." LOL. THUMP! (Oops, forgot to raise those landing gear) Or better yet when some cute little girl tries to sweet talk me into doing something for her for her benefit and personal gain, and then says, "You're mean." when I refuse to be manipulated and disadvantage myself for her gain. ROFL.

So go ahead say it. "You're mean Bob." LOL. (Not calling you a little girl, much less cute. LOL)

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

LMAO, Alarmman, yes, your post had some real info in it, as did some others, which I've looked at.

Mikey,

I read replies to the thread in case there is more information -- what is so surprising about that? I've read a lot of threads in this newsgroup for the same reason. I was interested more in this thread because I was surprised at the venom spewed forth as a result of a simple question. What in my post lead you to conclude that I was not grateful for the information I *did* receive? I'm not an "ingrate" -- in fact, I am quite thankful for the advice received so far. I even said so. I'm equally thankful for this insight into the character of (some of the) people in the security industry.

Your post is a lovely example of misdirection. It implies I was bitching about the advice, when in fact I was merely making an observation regarding the behaviour of some of the posters.

Regards,

Reply to
vorpal

Wal-mart may well start selling security systems and already sells some inexpensive (meaning i wouldn't bother installing one) wireless cameras. however they will never replace those of us who know how to properly install and maintain quality alarm systems.

Reply to
T. Lee

I'm not biting, vorpal. I'm here for the entertainment. Good luck with your installation.

Reply to
mikey

Same goes for cameras. We've quoted plenty of homeowners and mom-and-pop stores who are aghast at the idea of $300-$500 per camera, $600 for a time-lapse VCR, and $3000 and up for a DVR, when they can go down to their local Costco and pick up a setup with four B&W cameras, a

9" monitor and built-in VCR, for about $200.

The justice is when they call back later wondering how they can set up those cameras to see anything at night without the aid of a pair of 500W floodlights, or why the guy standing right in front of the camera in broad daylight is unrecognizable on playback.

The answer, of course, is that's the difference between the $200 system and the $4000 system...

Of course, if they wanna do the cool stuff like zooming in on Will Smith's shopping bag from a satellite, like you see in the movies... well we can do that too... if you wanna tack a couple more zeros on the price. You're not gonna get that with your $200 "package" system.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Some of the worst offenders here actually tried to ban posts about DIY sales several years ago. They didn't understand USENET then and apparently still don't.

:^)

Some alarm guys actually are teenagers. :^)

Yep. And you could order it in whatever color you wanted as long as you only liked black.

There already are hundreds of online stores (including mine) that sell professional alarm systems to DIYers.

True, but fortunately for folks like me, Walmart doesn't give tech support.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I don't think the gentleman was trying to convey any obligation on your part. He just reacted in surprise (as most sane people do) to the trash that other folks posted.

After a few years reading the daily drivel from Jiminex, Olson and the like, one tends to become a bit jaded. Newcomers are amazed at these folks' online behavior and they wonder if such behavior is the Norm within our industry.

Don't take offense at the gentleman, Bob. I don't think he was trying to chastise you. He was just reacting in the way normal humans do to the verbal effluent that has become standard fare in ASA.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And thats the reason why you get away with it for so long, the newcomers haven't seen the obnoxious and vindictive posts that you have subjected this group to over the past several years.

Its certainly not the norm in my industry, you'd know better than I if its the norm in your industry IE:On line sales

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Your record isn't exactly "sterling", is it??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.