NAPCO RP1-CAE2 KEYPAD PROBLEMS...

With the recent power outages on the West Coast from the wind storms.

I have had two different systems, both P-9600 with multiple keypad on the system, on power up the keypad compatibility number change in the keypad. Only one keypad as well per site, so not as if it was a single site issue.

I also had a site do this last year as well.

Anyone else ever run into this?

Reply to
George Siegle
Loading thread data ...

system, on power up the keypad compatibility number change in the keypad. Only one keypad as well per site, so not as if it was a single site issue.

I use Napco panels exclusively. Long long time ago, I had some issues with the "compatibility" feature in a commercial job. Now that I do mostly residential, I don't use that feature. I'd suggest that if you don't have to use it for a high security situation, there's no reason to do so. Could never figure out what real purpose it had anyway.

Reply to
Jim

the system, on power up the keypad compatibility number change in the keypad. Only one keypad as well per site, so not as if it was a single site issue.

It's an anti-takeover measure, Paradox has it as well

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I KNOW what it's SUPPOSED to be but what difference does it make if someone changes a keypad on a job, or not? No one could take over the job if they can't get into the panel anyway ..... is what I was alluding to. I guess it's to stop someone from stealing your keypad? I haven't heard of a rash of keypad stealing, in many moons. On the other hand, Jim DOES seem to have a lot of them in his garage.

Reply to
Jim

What an idiot! The idea is to make it more expensive to do a takeover. Instead of replacing the whole panel, a competing alarm company can simply swap the chip. However, with the keypad compatability number altered they would have to replace the keypads as well -- at significantly higher cost. The thinking (I know, that's a foreign concept to you) is that the new alarm company will try to foist the expense onto the customer but the customer will balk, opting to stay with the original alarm sealer.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.