multiple inputs and multiple outputs

A south facing building has an Axis 223M IP network camera mounted outdoors looking down but in the direction fo the sun, which causes some glare during the day from concrete and vehicles, especially in the winter with a low sun. The motion detection is fair with a modest number of false alarms, but I expect I can do better with well placed Crow Daredevil(s) and/or Crow IR beams. (Is this a reasonable design direction?)

Suppose there are two Crow DDs (two outputs) that will trigger a camera and an IR Illuminator (two inputs). If either Crow triggers, then both the camera and illuminator should turn on. I believe the camera has an output trigger, so turning on the IR may be relatively simple. However, for my basic understanding, I'd like to know the following:

What is a relatively simple solution to combine two outputs so that an alarm on either will trigger another device?

What is a relatively simple solution to combine two inputs so that both devices will turn on?

I know there are alarm systems that can manage this, but was wondering if there are more simple solutions when an alarm system is not needed.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

Use a relay.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yep. Use a relay and place a diode on each input to prevent voltage feedback.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Techman

Thanks. Do you have any favorite part numbers? Are they mechanical or solid state?

I can see how a multi-ouput relay could be used to trigger multiple cameras and illuminators, but is a relay used on input to "or" two or more PIRs? Can the NormallyOpen trigger on the PIRs be wired in parallel, or the NormallyClosed trigger be wired in series, to trigger the relay? I guess I should look at one very simple schematic.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

On Jan 11, 5:54=EF=BF=BDpm, "Christopher Glaeser" wrote= :

mechanical or

Christopher,

This is why you hire someone to do it for you rather than try to get someone to draw you a schematic of a simple relay trigger circuit.

This is so basic that it's somthing that anyone here can do, in the dark, with one hand tied behind their back.

That is ................ if you don't have the basic circuit design knowledge to figure this out then you shouldn't be doing this is the first place.

We don't mind helping people out but ............. come ON!

Reply to
Jim

No worries Jim. I enjoy learning new topics.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Depends on what you want to accomplish. For your application you probably want a relay + timer. Look here:

formatting link

You can wire the NO contacts on the 2 PIR's in parallel to trigger a "high" on a timer relay when either PIR is tripped, yes. Or, the relay board I cited will also trip on dry contact open or close.

Reply to
G. Morgan

On Jan 11, 6:15=EF=BF=BDpm, "Christopher Glaeser" wrote= :

I think you missed my point Chris.

What I'm trying to say is; That in order to provide you with the information that you need .... the amount of effort for someone to write out what it is that you have to do is hardly worth the the time they would have to spend doing it if you don't have the basic understanding of this simple circutry. It seems as if you're asking for a point to point wiring diagram. Anyone here will tell you the appropriate components to use for your project but we've got to assume that you've got some understanding of baic DC circutry. A wiring diagram or (in this fourm a point to point description of) hookup instructions just takes too long to type out. We can provide you with information but no one is going to take the time to educate you. You have to go to school of do some basic research in DC circuit layout then ............ you probably wont even need to come back here except for product recomendations.

You'll notice that the first suggestions were for you to use a relay. People obviously presume you know how to hook it up. ............

Or am I not reading you right?

Let me give you just a brief example. Yes ......... you can use the contacts of the motion detector to trip anything. How should you connect them? It depends. Do you have form C or form A contact configuration on the motion detectors? Do you want a supervised or non supervised trip circuit? What is the current draw of the IR illumiators so that you know what the contact rating of the relay should be? Whats the distance between devices? Do you want to control it? (on/off) Do you want to beable to reset the circuit? And so on and so on? You're leaving too much not said for anyone to be able to have any confidence that we're not going to have to spend the next week trying to educate you in the basics of DC circuit hook up.

I can appriciate you wanting to learn new things, but personally I think you need to learn a little more about this elsewhere, before you can utilize what this group can offer.

I mean, This is just my personal opinion. I could be wrong, there might be someone here who's got the patience to do this, but I doubt it.

Reply to
Jim

That's perfect! Thanks.

Got it. Thanks again.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

A quick review of the 6062 Installation Guide and I think I've got it.

Fair enough. If I fry a $1,500 Axis 223M, I promise not to cry here. :)

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

I am wondering how long the camera is going to last with countless of power cycle happening everyday.

Reply to
A.J.

The camera is powered continuously using PoE. The PIR trigger is used to start recording images to the server via ftp.

One nice feature of the Axis camera is the image buffer used for prerecording. When an alarm event begins, you can specify how many prerecorded images (or video) is included with the recorded images. Of course, this requires the camera to be on all the time. In addition, the startup time of an IP camera is relatively long (on the order of a minute), and using an alarm to turn on a camera would likely miss the event unless you were just turning it on for a new shift.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Ok, now I got you . . . Yes, your idea will work but you should not have to mess around with the power of the IR Illuminator since it's control by a day/nite sensor already. so all you need is for the PIRs to start the recording, hell, you don't even need a relay, just parallel/series the two motion sensor directly to the "start recording" trigger and you are all set.

Reply to
A.J.

I just read the manual on the AXIS 223M and looks like you can connect two motion detectors directly to the camera via the two inputs at the back, using "Normally Open" circuit from the motion detector. If the motion detector has only "Normally Close" circuit, then invert the level right at the camera trigger input with a pull-up resistor to +3V. You may not have to invert the input if you can configure the "Event" to start uploading with a "reverse" condition.

Reply to
A.J.

Yes, I think the Axis is fairly flexible in defining events. Thanks for the assistance.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.