x-10 compatible thermostat

does anybody know of thermostats that are x-10 compatible? I need more control than a setback control gives. I am handicapped & cant reach manual thermostat. I need to be able to set temperature. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
D&SW

Residential Control Systems (RCS) also makes UPB and Z-wave compatible thermostats, if you prefer either of those communications methods. See

formatting link

Reply to
R. Lejeune

I think dlh is right, Google using "wireless thermostat". Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

formatting link

Reply to
Jmmv08

I should have been a bit more specific. In this case, I would avoid anything that uses the powerline as the communication medium. With more and more CFLs and other devices with noisy switch mode power supplies, powerline communications can be iffy. While filters can solve this, it's still an unnecessary complication.

Both X-10 and Insteon can be bothered by noisy CFLs. I haven't seen similar complaints about UPB but that may be because I've seen almost no reports of any kind about UPB making me wonder about its market share.

For RF, my recommendation would be to choose one that uses 418MHz as that's the frequency used (in N. America) by programmable remotes like the Pronto, MX3000, etc. (Outside N. America choose 433.92MHz.) Z-Wave and Insteon RF are in the 900MHz band, meaning you will need to use one of their remotes to control the t-stat.

My sp> Residential Control Systems (RCS) also makes UPB and Z-wave compatible

Reply to
dlh

I wouldn't entrust an X-10 thermostat with anything more than a moderate, set-back function.

There are fully enabled WI-FI thermostats that you could access directly from a WI-FI-enabled smart phone. Pricey, but a good solution in my opinion. I've used RS-485 communicating thermostats for a decade, but might choose hard-wired TCP/IP if I were starting now.

formatting link
WI-FI capable phones like the iPhone and Treo 800W, provide an elegant, if expensive, one-handed solution for control *and* communication in conjunction with a centralized PC computer and(or) control panel.

I recently switched from Treo to iPhone and am pleased with the speed at which iPhone applications to control Elk multi-function panels and HomeSeer software have emerged. These in turn can control a wide range of thermostats, lighting and other devices.

As a bonus, one has hand-held access to streamed internet, local server and downloaded music, an internet browser that is actually useable, and the usual bevy of tools -- alarm clocks, calculators, appointments, voice recorder, camera, utube, weather, note taker etc.

I don't have IR control hooked up yet, but that's next.

... Marc

Visit my updated Home Automation and Electronics Internet Porch Sale at

formatting link

Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.